Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Fishing Drought Over!

My sea-run white perch that I caught today
I have never seen an April where so many fisherman are having a hard time catching fish. I know multiple guys that specialize in carp that have been blanked three, four, even five times in a row. These are guys that know how to catch big ones and lots of them.

I've had my poorest spring trout fishing in years. I only had one good day so far, there is time for that to change, but it has been frustrating.

On the other hand, schoolie stripers are around in force. Until today, I have only fished for them once. I caught a couple, but the day before, guys were getting twenty. I know they have been consistently caught in multiple locations.

I decided to chase those stripers today. I went to a backwater spot where there was good current. I ended up catching thirteen fish. Many were tiny, but I had a few decent size ones. At this time of year, most of the stripers are on the small side.  My biggest fish was twenty four or twenty five inches. I was very pleased to catch it. I caught the first half of my fish on a three inch Zoom Fluke mounted on a 3/8 oz. jighead. The rest were caught on a white grub mounted on a jighead. The fish seemed just as aggressive towards both lures. They did not have any use for a 3" Cocahoe however.

Besides my biggest schoolie, my other highlight was a sea run white perch. I caught it on the Zoom Fluke. It wasn't a monster, probably 10-11 inches. I have caught very few sea-run perch, so for me, it was a pleasant surprise.

Sad to say, but tonight's action was the best I have had so far this year for any species. Let's hope it is the start of a hot streak.

No comments:

Post a Comment