Wednesday, May 7, 2014

My friend Eric Meyer caught his first carp last night

On Sunday my friend Eric Meyer called me and asked me if I would take him carp fishing. He saw a picture of me with a carp on Facebook and was intrigued by them. I told him I was going Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and he could pick a day. We made plans for Tuesday.

When we met at 5 pm I gave him the rules of Carp Club.

First rule of Carp Club- A good day is three, we will be happy to catch one

Second rule of carp club- They are not all twenty pounders, anything over 10 pounds is a good fish.

   I went on from there. I then explained how to put corn on a hair rig and what a method ball was. I showed him how to engage the bait runner reels. After the ten minute tutorial we casted out baits and waited.
Eric and I haven’t seen too much of each other since high school so the first two hours went by really fast as we caught up and shared stories. After about ninety minutes I was getting anxious that the fish wouldn’t come through.

   Luckily about 7:30 an alarm went off. Eric set the hook and Game on! He couldn’t believe the strength of the runs as it peeled off line two or three times. After a few minutes I had the privilege to net Eric’s first carp. It was a solid fifteen pounds. He was happy with it and I was relieved.

   We baited up again but nothing happened for the next thirty minutes so we each went to our respective houses to watch the Bruins lose. I switched over to the Red Sox but did not stay up to watch Grady Sizemore’s walk off.

   All in all I think Eric had fun and will be out carping again.   


No comments:

Post a Comment