Sunday, May 4, 2014

Golden Trout!

This weekend was Rhode Island’s Free Fishing Weekend. For this weekend only no one needs a fishing license. In coordination with this weekend the DEM stocks golden trout. In years past they were only stocked in one pond and only about 100. This year four lakes were stocked with the goldens. I have been trying for three years to catch one, all failures.

Of the four lakes stocked, I chose Peck Pond in Burriville. My reasoning was that is the furthest away from cities so hopefully less fishing pressure. I arrived at 7:30 am and there were only six cars in the lot.
All the fish were balled up near the dam. I could not reach them from my spot. There were a lot of guys right around this swimming lemon colored ball and there wasn’t anywhere I could squeeze in. Finally I couldn’t take it anymore so I asked a guy if I could stand next to him and make a cast and catch one trout. He was okay with it. I waited for him to hook up, once he got his fish close to shore, I casted out my casting bubble/ fly combo.


On my second cast I hooked a golden trout. It was absolutely beautiful. True to my word, I only tried for the one fish. I said thank you to the fly fisherman and took some pictures of it. After I took the pictures I drove off and had one of the most memorable days ever carp fishing (see posts below).

If you get a chance, try going out on the free fishing weekend. Those golden trout are a really neat novelty. There will be a lot of people fishing. By the time I left at 8:45 twenty five people were fishing

No comments:

Post a Comment