Friday, January 10, 2014

Goals for 2014


Despite the grumpy look, catching a bowfin was
one of the highlights of my year. I want to fish for
them a few times in 2014.
This post is a little late. There is a good reason. I can't think of to many new things I want to accomplish. Of course I want to catch big carp, a lot of stripers and go to New Hampshire as often as I can. As for new challenges the biggest for the new year is the first one listed



Goals for 2014


1. Catch 30 species of fish. Each year I convince myself I am going to try to only concentrate on my favorite species (stripers, carp, trout, bass). Then like clockwork I go out specifically looking for a white perch or I'll go eel fishing. I seem to catch about 27-28 species a year. It drives me crazy getting so close to 30 every year. I need to reach 30 species just once. That way I will feel like I got the monkey off my back. If I reach 30 I won't try for 35 or forty the following year. To the contrary, I won't make trips to the Charles River to chase eels or drive to Kiah Pond just to catch a common shiner on a fly

2. When I go to New Hampshire I want to visit Franconia Falls, 13 Falls and Welton Falls. 13 Falls is about 8 miles from the road.


3. Take the hike to Ethan Pond (a wild brook trout pond) on a nice day. I hiked out to Ethan this year but the wind was blowing 30-40 miles an hour. I want to go on a day I can actually cast my fly rod.


4. Hike to Flat Mountain Pond and or Lonesome Lake. These two lakes are next on my list of places to see. If I get to one of them plus Ethan Pond and the three waterfalls I will be very happy.

5. Fish for bowfin at least 3 times. I caught a bowfin last year and was really excited about it. However getting to the place I caught it is difficult. It's a 45 minute drive. Then its a canoe paddle of 3/4 mile against the current in a river. It is a chore to fish for them. However the effort is well worth it when I land one.


6. Try for walleye again at Beach Pond.

7. Catch a trout through the ice either jigging or with a tip up.

8. Catch a catfish or bullhead ice fishing.

9. Go cod fishing on a headboat.

2 comments:

  1. I admire your Drive! Good luck. I hope i can net a few for you this year.

    Todd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Todd. We are supposed to have warm weather this week, maybe I will see you in Providence

      Delete