Thursday, January 19, 2012

Product Review Number 2- Dry Bags

Today's product review isn't a review of a brand. It is a review of a useful item that I recently discovered. Drybags are a very useful thing to have around if you camp, hike or fish. As the name suggests a dry bag is a piece of equipment that keeps your gear dry. They are completely waterproof so you do not have to worry about a three hundred dollar camera accidentally getting wet while it is in it.  Somehow in all my years outdoors, I had never heard of one until my trip out west in the summer of 2010. I assume they have been around for many years. Also, considering Bass Pro Shops is my church I can't believe I had never seen one.

A hike through Zion Narrows guarantees you and your gear will get wet
During my vacation, we took a hike in to Zion Canyon in Zion National Park. The "hike" is really a walk through the river. In very few places can you walk along the shoreline because of the steepness of the canyon walls. In most places you can walk in the shallows. There is a enough deep holes where swimming is your only option. You can't see into the water because of all the silt so it is a guarantee that you will trip and fall. What I am saying is getting wet is a 100%  possibility. This was also a dream hike for us. I wanted to remember it and get pictures. We rented studded water boots a walking stick and a dry bag. In the dry bag we stuffed the camera, lunch and a sweatshirt. It kept everything dry. I was so impressed I vowed to buy one for the 2011 season.

I bought one at Bass Pro Shops this spring. I have to say I already got my money's worth out of it. I use it all the time. Most of the time I keep my camera in it. It is a great thing to have. I fish a sand bar in Narragansett Bay all the time. Sometimes waves from barges going into Providence will go right over your head even on a glass calm day. I never used to bring my camera out there for fear of wrecking it. The fishing can be great out there, its tough to catch some really nice fish and not get a picture. Now I don't have that problem.

I put the camera and my phone in the dry bag when I'm fishing from my kayak and canoe. When its in the bag, I don't have to worry about water dripping down the paddle on it. I also have piece of mind that I won't loose it/ruin it if I flip over.  It is also great to have when it is raining or the chance of rain is high. I'd never bring my camera fishing or hiking with me in a rainstorm before. Now that I have the bag, I take the camera out for a quick pic then put it away.

I am sure there are many good brands of dry bags. Mine is a Bass Pro Shops one that was on clearance. This particular one is no longer for sale. That's why this is a " product review" and not a "brand review".  They range in size from just big enough for a wallet and car keys to at least 55 liters. Those big ones would be great for storing camping gear ( tent, food, sleeping bag, dry clothes) on a canoe trip down a river. I do intend on buying one soon. Mine is a ten liter. My camera gets dwarfed in one that size. However, that leaves me plenty of room for a sweatshirt sweatpants and lunch if I want to add them.

As for price, obviously the bigger the bag the more you will pay. The smaller ones like mine are about $15-20. The bigger ones depending on brand will run you $25-50. I have noticed the Bas Pro and Cabelas brands are cheaper than other brands. My Bass Pro one has taken a beating and still works great. I would recommend you get the heavy duty bags. Although I've never tried them, I wouldn't use the " lightweight" ones. It seems to risky to me to trust an expensive camera or phone to lightweight material that is more easily punctured.

In case your wondering  how they work it is simple. You put your stuff in the bag. Then you fold the top three times tightly. You then clip the two sides together so they opening is tucked under the folds. You don't have to worry about a seal opening like a ziplock or water to seep in if you tie a bag closed.

There you have it, thats review number two. I have to say the bag has already paid for itself. Maybe everyone who is reading this already owns one. Maybe I'm just an idiot for not knowing about them until two years ago. Either way, having I'm glad I bought one this spring. Just having the camera safe from the elements has made it worth it.

The bag can be a little bulky but I would never have gotten this picture without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment