Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Dear Mr. Bluefish,

I am writing this letter to you beacause I respect you and feel you deserve fair warning about my intentions. We have known each other for about 11 years now. I first met you at South Cape Beach. Since then I have had respect for you and based on your hard fighting ability, you for me. Although it is true that I have kept a few of you, for the most part I have let go most of your brothers and sisters. I along with most fishermen find you to be oily, my son however prefers you to striped bass on his dinner plate, you should take that up with him.

I confess there have been times when I try to avoid you like when I am using eels or plastic shads. There have been times when I sought you out and looked forward to your company. Usually that was when the peanut bunker were in the bay.  I thank you for not visiting when I was casting eels in Narragansett and I thank you for letting me meet so many of your family during a blitz at Kings Beach, Newport a few years ago.

For the most part we have gotten along very well. I have not killed many of you and in return you have avoided many of my eels. I only kept two of your relatives all year, both on the same day. The first was because I wanted to try smoked bluefish so I kept a big one in October. About an hour later Jeff caught one that inhaled a big plug deep into its gills. The next day I smoked them.

That is where the problem will start between us. I have never liked eating you, so when I hook you I am more than happy to let you go. You fight so valiantly anyway, it only seems fair. The problem is you are ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS smoked. I dehydrated you in the oven, using liquid smoke, brown sugar, and spices. It was one of the finest things I have ever eaten. I would eat a couple pieces a day after work as a treat. After lunch all I could think about was the fish in my refridgerator.

 As you know I do not enjoy killing fish. I feel bad about it. I fish for the pleasure of catching fish. I will keep some trout, and the occasional striper or fluke that swallow the hook. When I keep fish its to eat fish, I get no pleasure out of the killing. I do it as quickly as possible so there is little suffering.

 You were so delicious I ask you not to tempt me. I give you fair warning and ask you not to bite my bait or lure. If I catch one small harbor blue, you are probably safe. I'm not going to use 3 hours worth of propane in my oven to smoke one small fish. However, if I catch a big one or start catching three, four or five of you, I do not think I will be able to fight the urge. Smoked bluefish is one of the best things I have ever eaten. Although I will get no pleasure out of killing you, I will get tons of pleasure eating you.

So there you have it my friend. I fear our relationship is going to take a turn for the bloody. Try to avoid me as best you can. I used to be Dr. Jekyl to you but please consider me Mr. Hyde from now on.
Good luck, I hope your enjoying your winter in southern waters. Remember when you come back up the Rhode Island coast, be careful.

Good Luck and Godspeed to you

Sincerely,

Nick Pacelli

No comments:

Post a Comment