Sunday, January 22, 2012

Going into Hermit Mode...maybe

Usually, I stop consistently fishing for the winter around mid November. I still hit the Providence River a couple of times after that. I will fish the river until I have a couple of skunkings and then give up for a month or two. Typically I don't do much of anything during the months of mid November until mid March. Last year, with all the snow and cold, I really became a hermit. Even writing my blog, I kind of went on hiatus until March.  For the most part my free time in the winter consists of going to the movies, catching up on Netflix, and getting gear ready for the following year. I use the time to recharge my batteries and relax. I normally enjoy my movie time until mid February. At that point I go to the fishing expo in Worcester. That's when I get a bad case of cabin fever. Its at that point I am ready for spring to hurry up and arrive.

This year, if you have been reading, I have been out a lot. I fished more this December than all other Decembers of my 37 years. I went trout fishing with Jeff at Little Pond. I fished the Providence River a few times sometimes doing well, sometimes striking out. I went carp fishing in New Hampshire with Dave, Clay and Todd. I even caught a couple carp with Dave a few days ago.

The last two days have brought 15 degree temperatures and snow to North Attleboro, MA. It has been a pleasant winter so far. This was the first real snow we've had since the freak storm in October. I had this weekend off from work. For the first time all year, I did not have any desire or plans to go fishing. Instead I went to the movies. Saturday while it was snowing DJ and I braved 40 mph speed on Route 295 and made our way to Cinema World. We went to two movies. We saw Underworld ( kicked ass) and Red Tails ( also awesome!). After we got home DJ went to his girlfriends house. I caught up on tv shows on hulu ( mostly Saturday Night Live from this season and I watched a Man vs. Wild).

I guess what I am saying is that I think I'm going into Hermit mode two months behind my normal schedule. I would normally be watching two movies a night on Netflix by December 1. This year I was fishing December first. I am not sure if I need a couple months of boredom to " recharge my batteries" I do know I am going to the fishing expo February 10. Thats only three weeks away. I am sure I will be itching for trout to be stocked, stripers to arrive and New Hampshire trails to be mud free after the expo.

Even closer in time, this week is going to be warm. Monday is going to be 46 degrees. By Tuesday the place I caught the carp will be ice free because there is a river bed running right near shore. It will be fishable all week and daytime highs will be in the 40's. I think I would rather go carp fishing for a couple hours than sit home and watch movies. So I don't know, maybe I'm not the winter hermit I used to be. I'll probably give carp and stripers a try this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment