Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Best night striper fishing in two years


Its clear the reason I had such a great night fishing was because I was wearing my Catch-M- ALL hat
 Tonight I went fishing in upper Narragansett Bay. I had the best night striper fishing I have had in a couple years. I caught 12 stripers. I fished about 2 1/2 hours. I caught all of the fish on four inch zoom flukes on 1/4 ounce jigs. None of the fish were huge. I'd say the biggest I landed was about 23 inches. Most were in the low 20 inch range. I was fishing with my friend Dave, he also landed about 12 fish. A couple other guys were fishing, I saw them catch a few fish. I think at least 30 fish were caught tonight.

  I was using my freshwater trout rod. In current, using a six foot trout rod with 6 pound line every fish was a challenge. I want to catch a keeper striper on the little rod. Its just a personal goal of mine. Its quite a challenge to catch a decent striper on it. The reel is good and it has a smooth drag. The main problem I have is getting a nick in the line. If I get even the tiniest nick  then hook a striper, the six pound test snaps like a twig. I had three fish break me off tonight. I'm sure two of them were not that big. The other felt like a decent fish, but I don't think it was a keeper. It's kind of tough using such light tackle. To be honest I'd like to switch to my schoolie rod after  I catch a keeper on the trout rod. However, I think the light line helps me get more hits than some of the other guys. It seems that some nights the stripers are spooked by the heavier line. So I haven't decided if my trout rod has become my new winter schoolie rod.

I hope to get back fishing again in a couple days. With fishing this hot, its going to be tough not going. It goes without saying ( although I'm saying it) that this was the first time I wore my Catch-M-All hat while fishing and caught 12 fish, I will be wearing it next time and the time after that. Why mess with a good thing!!  http://www.catchthemallnh.blogspot.com/2011/11/support-catch-m-all-store.html

1 comment: