Thursday, August 27, 2026

Sandwich, MA

 

Words to live by

  The last couple of weeks I have had Tuesday off from work and on Monday I have a day shift. So, when I got out of work on Monday at 4 pm we have been heading straight for the Cape. The routine is to go straight to a campground, pitch the tent, make dinner ( hot dogs one week and burgers the next) on the grill. After dinner we have gone to the beach shark fishing. All of this is in the hours from 5-11 pm.

   The next morning we have explored. The first week we went to Crane WMA in Mashpee. We go there a lot looking for butterflies. This day, we saw four new species which was great. We were in a slump for lifers. After Crane we went to Market and got a sub and ate at the Railroad Bridge. We went home kind of early that day.

   This Monday we were better prepared and got to the campground early. We made supper and went sharking. No sharks were to be had. The highlight was watching a lightning storm over Martha's Vinyard  the entire time. For three hours we watched six or seven strikes a minute. The storm was moving east over the ocean and still going strong when we left the beach.

   Tuesday, we explored a little bit. We stopped in the center of Sandwich. There is a nice little veteran's park with monuments to many wars from the Civil Wat to Vietnam. There is also an old grist mill. It made for great photos but I'm thinking the mill would make calendar quality photos during peak foliage season. It may be worth a trip down just for photos.

   Also in downtown Sandwich was an old church. The church is very picturesque. So much so that it was used as an album cover for Elvis Presley (holy crap!). the album was called " How Great thou Art". That was pretty cool. 

  Our best find however, was a natural spring right next to the town hall. The spring is popular with locals who filled up gallon jugs and large Poland Spring jugs while we were there. I took a drink and the water was ice cold and delicious.

 

 the spring next to Sandwich Town Hall

    After our stint in the quaint ( I despise that word) town of Sandwich we headed to Onset. Laurie swam for an hour and I looked for shells and stripers ( I walked to a bridge). After my walk I was low on energy ( diabetic bullshit) so treated myself to a Pepsi with sugar (instead of diet. I never drink regular soda but needed sugar this day) and a small bag of popcorn. I sat at the bandshell until Laurie was done swimming. 

   After Onset we went back to the Canal and ate a steak and cheese sub by the water. We sat at a bench eating fruit as a desert after enjoying the ocean breeze until it was time to come home.

Post script- The campground we found  cost less than twenty dollars a night. It is almost empty on weekdays. We had a side road to ourselves. The road had seven other sites and we were wonderfully alone. Laurie liked the trip so much that she went back on Thursday last week. She went to Onset and swam first. Then went to the campground. Friday she took a walk on the canal and had lunch at the Sandwich Marina. Today she left to do the same thing. It works out because I have to close on Thursday nights and open on Friday. She has the two days to herself and we reconvene Friday afternoon.

The light was not good on the church
no matter where I stood



   

Imagine this photo with fall colors

There is a cemetery near the center.We found gravestones of both Revolutionary War and Civil War vets. 

Th




No comments:

Post a Comment