Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Skimmers and Seahorses


 At some point I plan on doing a blog post discussing freshwater spinning reels. However, life is still getting in the way and I have been extremely busy. I have gotten out a few times since my last post. Mostly seining and failing at catching some target species with hook and line.

   During my adventures, I have gotten lucky with two things, I've gotten some amazing photos of wildlife. While my camera sucks compared to my old one, the light has been great and I have gotten photos far better than I thought when I was taking them. The second thing is that when I've gone seining I have gotten lucky with some cool species. The coolest was a Seahorse. More precisely, three Seahorses. 

    Last week I met my friend Allison for a day at the ocean. The first stop was Napatree Point in the hopes that Black Skimmers would still be there. They had been around for a couple of days so I was nervous they would take off over night. However, we got lucky. There were five juveniles in the lagoon. Once they woke up, they went flying around and skimming the water to catch food. The birds were close and the light was great. Photos below and then after that...the Seahorses. 






After we left Napatree we went seining at different places. We went to multiple spots in Ninigret Pond and at Quonny Pond. In one of our seines we hauled up three Seahorses. We were both really excited and high fives were had. We were very careful with them and took quick photos while they were out of the water. He put them back quickly and they swam off. I was surprised at how big they are. One of them went eight inches or more. The other two were over six inches. We also got some other fish but that is for another day.







No comments:

Post a Comment