Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Some photos from migration

 

  I've been doing far more birding than fishing. My friend Richard has this week off from work so we went on a three day birding marathon. We birded Saturday for 13 hours and then Sunday-Tuesday about eleven hours each day.  I've been too busy and too tired to post here. That is something I'm a little ashamed of, If you want people to follow your blog, you need to give them a reason to check it out. I'll do better at time management.

   In the meantime, here are some photos of wildlife, mostly birds, I've seen over the last two weeks. As with my blog, I have not had time to crop or touch them up. They are in there raw state. A couple of the photos are blurry but I included them because the birds are rare. The Scissor Tailed Flycatcher has spots on the lens. These were taken with my old backup camera.


Summer Tanager, an overshoot that breeds in the south

Pheasant on Block Island

The reason I went to BI was to see this Mottled Duck
They are native to Florida. This is the first ever
recorded in RI. Found by Sam Miller

Painted Lady

Indigo Bunting

Scissor Tailed Flycatcher. Native to TX and OK
Seen in Carver, MA

American Toad

Solitary Sandpiper

Young Baltimore Oriole

Swainson's Thrush that I found at Swan Point



Yellow Throated Warbler. Another southern 
overshoot. Seen in Newport

This Scarlet Tanager put on a show for me, Richard
and my young friend Devin in Newport. We watched
it sing and feed for ten minutes. More photos below





Black Racer, the first Richard has seen in the wild

A Copper Butterfly. I have not looked it up to
identify the species et

Clapper Rail, an elusive secretive wading bird.
Very lucky to have seen it. Usually we count them 
as "heard only"

Yellow Crowned Night Heron

White Crowned Sparrow in my friend Dave C's
yard. I could never get a photo w/o grass or
a stick in the photo. Beautiful bird though



Spotted Lanternfly. A VERY invasive insect that 
does a lot of damage. This one my have been killed
soon after the photo was taken.



No comments:

Post a Comment