Saturday, March 2, 2024

A Big Night

 


  For years, I've planned on going out during the first rainy night in March to look for salamanders and frogs. Every year when the time comes, I get lazy and don't go. The first warm, rainy night after the ground thaws (this happens in March, but March 2 is very early!) amphibians make their way to vernal pools to mate. For some, like Wood Frogs, they will stay in the pools for a couple of weeks. For others like Spotted Salamanders all the action happens in that one night. By morning, the salamanders are back in the woods hiding.

   I was always lead to believe that "Big Night" was just that, one night and not plural. So, I have always assumed that if I missed it, I'd have to wait another year. I just learned last month that not all amphibians will mate during that first warm, rainy night. The season could last almost until May. Because of this new fact, I plan on going out on multiple nights this spring.

   Knowing the weather forecast for Saturday was going to be rainy, I have been planning to go out for a few days. Despite knowing I'd be out Saturday night, I did a piss poor job of planning. To start with, when I went looking for my rain pants I realized they were not in my car. Also, when I went to get my small camera the battery was dead. So I had neither my rain pants or my camera. I did have my phone to take photos with but my camera does take better photos. 

 


    I had Laurie drop me off at a conservation area in Norton. I did not want to leave my car at a parking area since technically the conservation areas are open "sunrise to sunset". So she dropped me off about 6:45. The area I chose has a vernal pool a two hundred yard walk from the parking area. It only took a couple minutes to get to it but I was immediately glad I had waterproof boots on. The trail was basically a muddy canal. 

   It didn't take me long to find my quarry. My biggest hope was to see Spotted Salamanders. I'd only ever seen two in my life. That changed tonight. About fifteen minutes after looking in the water I saw one come up for air. Since I was so surprised I saw one I actually doubted myself. Luckily, a few minutes later I saw another and I knew I wasn't crazy. I watched the second one go back down to the leaf litter not too far from shore. I tried to get out on a log and pick it up but it was just out of reach.

  Not long after, I found a third that I could reach. I put my hand in the water and to my surprise it didn't try to swim away. I picked it up, brought it to the shore and took some photos before releasing it again.

   Soon after, I found a whole bunch of Spotted Salamanders. At one point I could see five very close to each other. Since I may have seen a couple of them more than once, I conservatively estimate that I saw eight  different ones tonight. I didn't see any other frogs or salamanders other than Spotted. However, that was the one I really wanted to see. Some of the big ones were eight inches including the one I caught. I did see some weird shrimp and insect larvae swimming around but I forgot to bring my net so I didn't get any photos of them. It was a great night and I can't wait to do it again!




1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful for the valuable insights and perspectives your blog consistently provides.

    ReplyDelete