Wednesday, January 3, 2024

First of the year fish and rarity

   

Goldfish

One of my friends already has ninety three species of birds under her belt in Rhode Island alone. I went out for a walk on New Year's Day and saw a Chickadee. So, if I cared, she has a ninety two bird head start on me. Today, a friend of mine thought it would be a good idea to go seining. Yes, it's January so maybe not our smartest decision. Despite a major strikeout on seeing anything we still had fun. We only had until 1 pm because he had to be in Cranston in the afternoon so I dropped him at the Attleboro Train Station for him to make his appointment.

   Deciding it would be nice to see something new for the year, I went up to La Salette Shrine to see their Goldfish. Goldfish have been breeding in the pond for a hundred years so at this point they are wild. Much of the pond was skim ice but I saw two bright orange Goldfish under the ice. This made me happy. 

   As I was getting into my car, there was an alert that a Townsend's Warbler was at Swan Point. This was presumably the same bird as a month before. I really didn't want to go to Providence but I was five minutes from the highway and from the exit only fifteen minutes after that. So I went. I saw the bird rather quickly since Sue Talbot was there and she is a great birder. She came across it high in a pine tree. It was in beautiful light with the sun behind it. I took a lot of photos but one of them stood out from the rest. It is probably a photo upgrade.



No comments:

Post a Comment