Monday, July 10, 2023

Dirty Deeds AC/DC Tribute Band

    In a span of less than fourteen hours I did two things on my bucket list (which I am trying to refer to as my "to do" list more often). Saturday I saw Copperheads which was really exciting. However, I was a little groggy on the drive down because I did not get a full night's sleep. Before making plans to go herping, Laurie and I had bought tickets to see the AC/DC tribute band for Friday night. The cover band played at the Stadium Theater in Woonsocket.

   I had wanted to see Dirty Deeds for nearly ten years. They are out of Boston and through the years have played clubs and bars in the area. Sometimes I'd forget to look up their schedule for months at a time only to find out they played in Attleboro two weeks before. Sometimes I knew they were playing but too far away. Dirty Deeds had been the entertainment version of Royal Tern for me.

   Last year, on a whim, Laurie and I bought tickets for the Queen tribute band "One Night of Queen at Bold Point. As we were walking in, we heard AC/DC music. Dirty Deeds was the opening band. There wasn't any mention of this on the tickets or the websites. It was bittersweet. Finally, I got to see Dirty Deeds, but we arrived after they played a couple of songs. 

   When I saw the lineup for this year's Stadium Theater shows, I saw Dirty Deeds was playing and basically gave Laurie no choice on if we'd buy tickets. The show was for Friday night July 7. I was pretty excited. AC/DC is my favorite band of all time. I know and love more songs by them than any other band. They have retired and I never saw them live. Seeing Dirty Deeds is probably the closest I'm going to get to the real thing.

   We got pretty good seats about twenty rows back but realized before the concert even started we would be squished in our seats. The guy next to me could have played guard for the Pats. So we moved up closer to the nosebleeds where there were less people. We asked an usher if the show was sold out and he said no. So we sat as far from others as we could..

The show started at 8 pm without an opening band. The band opened up with "Shoot to Thrill". They played about twenty songs. I knew all but three. They rocked with energy for two plus hours. They took a twenty minute intermission around 9 pm then played another hour. The show ended at 10:40.

Telling you all of the highlights would just be like reading off the back of an AC/DC greatest hits album. Some of my favorites were "Who Made Who", "Back in Black", "TNT", "High Voltage", "You Shook me All Night Long", "Highway to Hell", "Dirty Deeds", "Hells Bells", and others.

   Dirty Deeds ended the show with fan favorite "For those about to rock, we salute you". This is how AC/DC ends their shows. This always confused me because we already rocked. Now everyone is going home. It would make sense to play "For those about to rock" as the first song. I don't think I'm wrong about this. None the less, it was cool because they had canons on stage and they did fire smoke and confetti. 

   As for the authenticity, they are great. The guitarist jumped around all over the stage just like Angus Young. I dare say, he could play the guitar like Angus too. The lead singer wears the scally cap and looks an awful lot like Brian Johnson the lead singer for AC/DC. He sounds like Brian too. They were in every sense the second coming of AC/DC 

Below is a sample of the beginning of "Hells Bells". The visual isn't very good because we chose to sit pretty far back. However, the audio is good enough where you can tell you talented Dirty Deeds was. 




No comments:

Post a Comment