Saturday, May 7, 2022

May Migration

 For a few short weeks in May birds that live in the tropics for much of the year migrate through to points north to procreate. For this short three to four week period the trees are full of colorful birds. These few weeks are fleeting, made worse by persistent bad northeast winds.  Sometimes these winds can ground birds for over a week as they wait for a favorable flight.

   Luckily, Thursday night the wind was right, so a bunch of birds flew into the area before the wind grounded them here. I got out both Friday and Saturday with a variety of friends. Unfortunately, I did not a photo of the  second best bird I saw, a Blackburnian Warbler. It was raining when I started birding this morning and did not take my camera with me. I did get to see the very rare for New England Yellow Throated Warbler. Some of the species below will breed in MA/RI but they are migrants coming from the south. 

Pine Warbler

Hybrid Blue Winged Warbler

Female Rose Breasted Grosbeak (and below)


Black and White Warbler

Black Throated Blue Warbler

Baltimore Oriole

Male Rose Breasted Grosbeak

Yellow Rumped Warbler

Palm Warbler


Yellow Warbler

Black Throated Blue Warbler


Below are two photos of Yellow Throated Warbler. Awful light, but this is a state bird for me. I had seen them in Florida and one in Mass, but never in Rhode Island. Found by Sue Talbot



Not a migrant but a photo upgrade of Belted Kingfisher

Obviously not a migrant or a bird
Female Orchard Oriole

Blue Winged Warbler



No comments:

Post a Comment