Monday, October 4, 2021

Saratoga National Historic Park

 


  For a very long time, a bucket list destination of mine has been the Saratoga National Historic Park. Saratoga is the site of two battles roughly two weeks apart where the Americans beat the British during the Revolutionary War. Because of the American victories, France believing the Americans could win, helped us with manpower and supplies. The battles at Saratoga was the turning point in the war for independence.

   Laurie and I spent much of Thursday at Saratoga Historic Park. The battlefield has been on my East Bucket List for a decade. We normally go to see the foliage in New Hampshire in early October. This year we went to Upstate New York to visit Saratoga and Lake George. If you think you've noticed a pattern of me going to places on my East Bucket List this year, you may be on to something. 

   I knew beforehand that the Visitor Center, Schuyler House, and Saratoga Monument were closed "for renovations". So I was just hoping to find a brochure with a map so I could find my way around the battlefield. I had done my homework and read two accounts of the battle. I knew the name of famous sites such as Bemis Heights and Freeman's Farm, but knowing the names and  understanding their importance at the battlefield were two totally different things. 

   Luckily I did find brochures behind the Visitor Center. There is a map on the back that highlights the auto road. There are ten numbered stops where important events happened. There are also a couple other monuments and viewpoints along the way. It is very well organized and easy to follow your way as events unfolded. 

    The two battles happened on Sept 19 and Oct 7, 1777. During the in-between time the two armies were only a few hundred yards apart in large encampments.  Unlike some Revolutionary War battles, this one had thousands of men on both sides. By the beginning of the second battle the Colonists had eleven thousand men. The Brits started the campaign with over six thousand men. 

   The battle road loop starts at the Visitor Center and loops around the battlefield for ten miles. The road is a one way until you get to the very end near the Visitor Center. There are plenty of pulloffs and is quite relaxing. There are a couple hiking trails that crisscross the battlefield also. The road takes you to all of the important sites. Though the land is absolutely gorgeous we only did the short spurs near the car. The plan was to cover the entire battlefield without rushing while also trying to get to Lake George in early afternoon. A delicate balance indeed. 

 

Ranger Bob on the left

   While we were on our journey, we kept running into Ranger Bob. He didn't just stay at one of the numbered numbered locations. We moved around to many of the important sites. Every time I ran into him I learned something new about either the battle or weapons. It is amazing how much knowledge people have. 

  We got to the battlefield around 9:30 am and left around 2 pm after going to Saratoga Monument and Schuyler House which are about eight miles north of the main battlefield. The cost is free.  I suspect if the Visitor Center were open and their was a short video to watch and rangers to talk to, I would have added another thirty minutes to my 4.5 hours there. If you walk the 4 mile trail obviously that would add a couple hours. However, unless you just want to look at the beauty of the area, it doesn't add to understanding the battle. If I wanted to rush through the loop road I could have easily cut off an hour or two, but I didn't drive all the way there to rush.

   Google says it takes three hours and ten minutes to reach the battlefield from North Attleboro. That seems right, though we stopped at a couple rest areas to use the water closet adding to our drive time.

From the heights over the Hudson
this canon commanded both the river and the road

   All in all, Saratoga National Historic Park exceeded my expectations. Knowing that the Visitor Center was closed worried me. Visitor Centers are the place to ask questions and learn about the surrounding area. The rangers have so much free info. Without the Visitor Center and rangers to tell me where to go and what to see I feared the battlefield would be nothing more than open fields and a few monuments. However, the battle road loop is well marked. The brochure explains the important developments at each numbered stop. 

   

   If you have any interest in going to the Revolutionary War battle that turned the tide in the war against Brittan then you will not be disappointed.

Eastern Milk Snake near a canon. I moved it to 
safety after this photo

Schuyler House

Saratoga Monument and a dreary
sky.







   

No comments:

Post a Comment