Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Da Bears

 

No cubs in the photo but this is a momma bear 
of two cubs

The motto for the Cape May Birding Festival is "So many birds". My entire time I was at Alligator River my brain paraphrased it to "So many bears!" Though I did the post of the one bear I did the photo shoot of I saw so many others. It is not like me to lose count but I did I had at least 13 encounters with eleven different bears in my trips to Alligator River. The best roads to check out bears are Buffalo City Rd, River Road, and Sawyer Lake Road. I saw bears throughout the day even on a hot humid, ninety degree afternoon. However, like you'd expect I saw the majority in the morning. 

   As best I can remember I saw a mother with two cubs, a mother with one cub, the two year old I saw multiple times, two big males, a single orphaned cub, and the backs of two bears that slipped into the woods. None of the photos I am posting are as good as the ones from my other bear post. Still, as I've said before, it's not about me. It is about the photo subject. I have seen very few cubs in my life and on this trip I saw four! I had never seen a bear stand on its hind legs before but one of the momma bears stood two different times for a combined 2-3 minutes. 


This post will conclude my Outer Banks Vacation. I am ending it with this post because seeing all those bears was the highlight of a trip with many highlights. I had hoped that I wouldn't need to go back to the Outer Banks because there are so many other places I want to go. But I have to go back. I need to go on the pelagic again. I spent way too much time sleeping or being exhausted to enjoy it like I wanted. When I go I plan on spending a couple of days at Alligator River, hopefully shooting more bears.




















No comments:

Post a Comment