Friday, February 19, 2021

Lucky Goose


 Today I went to South County for three reasons. I wanted to see the Snow Geese, I wanted to see Red Crossbills, and I wanted to take a rapid Covid test. The test came back negative, so off I went to see Snow Geese. It snowed ALL DAY today, but did not stick to the roads. After getting my test in Westerly I drove up to Card's Pond Road in Matunack The geese were in a field with Canada Geese. They were at least sixty yards away and the snow looked like a blizzard coming down. Factor in Snow Geese are white as the snow on the ground, lets just say it was not a good photo opportunity. However, Snow Geese are in my top ten favorite bird species so I watched them for fifteen minutes while snow piled up on my coat.

   From the Snow Geese I had a ten minute ride to Jerusalem. I did not see the Red Crossbills. They were probably off waiting out the snowstorm as best they could. I did have a young Red Tailed Hawk fly so close to my head that my friend Sue said I should have felt the wind. It landed in a tree right next to me and although the light was bad, got off some decent photos.

   

Easy to see why it was named 
Pink Footed Goose

While we were looking for the Crossbills, a girl named April Alex found a Pink Footed Goose n Johnston. I have only seen one Pink Footed Goose (PFG for now on). And I think there have been less than five ever seen in Rhode Island. PFG are a much more northern species. You are likely to find them in Greenland. This worked out perfectly for me since I have to drive through Johnston to get home. The little pond it was at was only 1.3 ,miles off of I-295. 

   The PFG was up on the bank feeding. I had it before I got out of my car. After it went back in the water for a swim I got some great photos as it swam all around. With the Mallards and Canada Geese it was comfortable with people around. I watched it with another birder for a half hour before I decided standing out in the snow was enough for one day.  






No comments:

Post a Comment