Friday, December 18, 2020

Another Crazy Lifer


 

 Another crazy rare bird is in Rhode Island. This time it is a Varied Thrush. This is a bird that summers in western Canada and Alaska. Some don't migrate at all, but those that do hover around the U.S. west coast. This is the fourth sighting in RI. The first was in 1966.
 
  One of these birds showed up in Glocester RI under some ladies bird feeder. She posted photos on ebird and Facebook and that was all that was needed for the stampede to start.  The bird feeders can be seen from the road with very little invasion of privacy. The woman loves birds and was okay with birders stopping by anyway.

   I went late this morning because the roads were still icy early. I got there about 10:15. Many of my friends had seen the bird between 8-9am and I hoped this would be a quick one and I'd be back home to do some chores at 11 am.

   No such luck. A fellow birder had been there since 9:30 and hadn't seen it. He had missed it by fifteen minutes. We waited, he left, other birders came, we waited some came, some of them left, and so on... You get the picture. I have to work tomorrow so I didn't want to leave. Finally just before 2 pm the bird showed itself. What a beauty. It is a male with a bright orange chest. Very pretty. It hung out for ten minutes and flew off. That was my que to warm up my toes and go home. 

#292- My friend Jess Bishop hit 300 birds today and I think another friend Linda Gardrel also did Congrats! Nice bird for 300th






 

No comments:

Post a Comment