Monday, April 8, 2019

It may be slow, but spring is starting

I think when most people think of spring, they have images of Easter Egg Hunts, daffodils and warm sunny weather. Sounds grand, but how often do we go from cold raw weather straight to uncomfortable heat?  Old Man Winter took it pretty easy on us this year, but the pattern the last few years seems to have some pretty chilly springs. This has been true this year. March, although we didn't get pummeled with three Nor'easters in ten days like last year, was not a lot of fun.

However, things are looking up. Despite the fact it is only forty one as I write this, spring is here and nature know it. Herring, birds, and whales are all migrating. Vernal ponds and trout ponds are full. And believe it or not, I saw a dandelion on Friday.

Over the past week, I have gotten out and enjoyed doing spring activities. Hold onto your hat, but birding was not one of them. On Thursday I caught my first striped bass of the year. It was a holdover, but it was a decent sized fish (well short of keeper, but not a little 13 inch rat either).

On Friday, Laurie and I went to Race Point in the hopes of seeing migrating whales. Unfortunately after three hours of looking at various spots, we gave up. We did rent a motel in Yarmouth where we had a fun night eating takeout and watching Jeopardy. It turned out we were a day early. The whales were right in the rip at Race Point of Saturday. The water was flat and viewing conditions were awesome. I missed this spectacle, but did see some amazing pictures. If you are wondering, yes, I was pretty bummed out and jealous.

Saturday afternoon I went for a walk. I didn't see a whole lot but every vernal pool I walked by was full of croaking wood frogs .I also saw some eggs of some amphibian that I need to look up.

I should have wiped the grass off of this brown
Lastly, I have caught trout two out of the last three nights. I've been hitting my local pond only a two minute drive from my house. I usually fish the last hour before dark. I've caught four trout so far (3 rainbows, and a brown) along with some sunfish and crappie.

As you can see, whether you are into fishing, wildlife watching, or just going outside, things are getting better. Each day brings us a little further from winter. I am really starting to get excited about all of the possibilities over the next coming weeks! It is going to be fun!




There was a flock of turkeys at the motel. The males were
displaying. The fence these turkeys are on is the one surrounding
the pool.

Dave, I know you love the pics of fish on the ground, this
one is for you

Piping plovers seemed everywhere, even if the
whales weren't

Clump of eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment