Friday, March 8, 2019

American Woodcock

   Today I saw a pair of American Woodcock at Ninigret Park in Charlestown, RI (there was a third one about 75 yards away). They were feeding on the side of the road. I pulled up very slowly and watched them. They did not mind my presence in the car at all. They were about 18 feet away when I got there but got to within six feet of my car while feeding. Many an earthworm died today at the bills of these two. I know this is way too many pictures that look similar, but the light was perfect and the birds were so close. It was hard to choose

. Although they did not mind me while I was in my blind (car) some people came down the road walking their dogs. The woodcocks froze. That is their defense mechanism instead of flying. When they froze, one of them was in shorter grass directly in front of me. It would have been impossible to screw up the photos. When the dog walkers got a safe distance away, the woodcocks went back to feeding on earthworms in the dirt.




























No comments:

Post a Comment