Saturday, September 22, 2018

September rolled up into one weekend

I have very specific things I'd like to do during September. Specifically, I chase false albacore during the second week and look at hawks the third week if the weather is right. I couldn't exactly go albie fishing last week because of a little breeze named  Florence roughing up the ocean, so I went hiking instead. Truthfully, I had serious doubts the albies would show up after the hurricane. Even if they did, would I have a chance to fish for them or would I have other plans?

My second goal is also weather dependent. Going to Wachusett to hang out with the Eastern Mass Hawk Watch is a waste of time if it is raining or the wind is from the south. The birds won't migrate if they have to fly into the wind. They also ride thermals, so they need the sun out to warm the ground. 

On Thursday there were multiple reports that albies had arrived in fishable numbers. I worked Thursday but had Friday off. I was quite happy to know I might have a chance to fight one. I got up well before first light and made my way down to South County. I really wanted to be there for the morning bite. I had a few spots in mind. I was willing to give them each a half hour. If I didn't get any in the first two spots I was willing to stay at the last spot for a while. Long story short, I saw a few albies caught throughout the day. Fishing was far from lights out. Most everyone I talked to had either hook one and lost it, or caught one. Only one guy had multiple fish. I ended up with one myself. I caught it around 11:30 am. My friend Dave had arrived about 30 minutes before and took multiple pictures for me. That fish was the last albie I saw caught on Friday. I saw one other hook up but it was lost. I did pick up four stripers also. Fishing wasn't great, but I was happy with my albie and the weather was so nice.

All of the specks are Broadwing Hawks circling
in the warm air rising
Saturday- I slept late on Saturday. Because of that I got a late start going to Wachusett. I barely got there for what would be the peak time of day to see hawks (11-2). The weather was absolutely perfect for hawk migration. I knew before I left my house it would be a huge day in terms of numbers.

I got to the top of the mountain just before 11 am. Within five minutes someone called out"Kettle". A kettle is a flock of hawks. They ride the thermals high into the sky and then they glide for a long way (south). For the next hour hundreds of Broadwing Hawks flew by. I am quite sure the official count for the hour from 11-12 pm will be over 500. I also saw four bald eagles. Two of them were close enough to get a photo. There were also multiple sharp shinned hawks, merlins, and kestrels. It was great.
Mature Bald Eagle

After I left the hawk watch I planned on going home. However, there reports of two species of bird I had yet to see this year at Trustom. So I took the very long drive from North Central Mass to southern Rhode Island. However it was worth it. Within fifteen minutes I saw Common Gallinule (looks kind of like a chicken that swims) and American Bittern. There was also a Philadelphia Vireo there, but myself and the other birders I saw missed it. While I was birding with a guy named Richard Tucker, we walked to Osprey Point. He had his scope and found Pied Billed Grebe and Bonaparte Gull, both new birds for Rhode Island for me this year. Birding was so good, I stayed until dark. I had planned on leaving at 5 pm to introduce myself to some stripers, but I couldn't pull myself away. During my time at Trustom I saw a dozen deer including two fawns and a buck. It was almost dark when I saw the buck. I took some pictures, but they didn't come out well. There is one at the bottom of the post that I lightened up. Not a great picture but you can get an idea of the beauty of the buck
Immature Eagle


Author's note- My two days off were actually better than the above post because both Thursday and Friday night I went to plays. However, they deserve a review in their own post.



No comments:

Post a Comment