Monday, August 21, 2017

Southwick Zoo Photos

I went to Southwick Zoo in Mendon, MA with Laurie, Amber and Kirsten the other day. Southwick is a private zoo and considered the largest in New England.  The cost is a steep $25 for an adult, however we were ended up spending five and a half hours there. They sell food, but you are also allowed to go back to your car, eat, and come back in. The Zoo has a lot of exotic animals. Spme of which I have never even heard of. 

Lately I have been feeling nostalgic. I went to Roger Williams Zoo by myself two weeks ago. When I was a kid I asked my parents to take me every year. I didn't ask anyone to go with me, I wanted to be alone and remember my folks. Knowing I had all day and didn't have to rush, I took my time. Going slow, the zoo took less than two hours. This should give you perspective on the size difference of the two zoos.

I got some pretty good photos. If these photos make you want to go to Southwick Zoo, all information is easily found on their website.


Hyena

One of two Bengal Tigers






There is a parakeet landing. You walk in and the parakeets fly around and can land on you.  You can buy a food stick for a dollar and they will eat on your hand. This was really fun. Getting focused pictures of parakeets was almost impossible.





This is what happens when you let teenage girls have total
control of one camera- Selfies

My dad used to take me to Southwick Zoo. I drank out of this
same blubber many times. It is at least 38 years old. Talk
about feeling nostalgic. Thanks Dad.


There is a goat petting zoo. You can buy food to feed the goats. The goats are really your frineds when you have food in your hand, but when it's gone, your nothing to them






 By far my favorite part of Southwick Zoo is the deer forest. You walk into an enclosure that is at least twenty acres. Same as the goats, you can feed them (corn). The enclosure is huge. Some deer stay near the feeding stations while others go hide off in the forest away from people.  There are also wild turkeys.




The deer are shedding the velvet on there antlers right now. Some of the bucks still have velvet hanging off and blood on their antlers. 







No comments:

Post a Comment