Friday, February 1, 2013

Going with the flow

Because of the bitter cold temperatures last week, I finally did some ice fishing. After going with Dave, I went out two more times. I fished the same pond in northern Rhode Island. I caught a few sunfish and perch both days. I think its kind of cool seeing a pumpkinseed with all their colors come through the ice. My last time ice fishing, I had a really good day. I got out of work a little early and got three hours in on the ice. I had a blast.

The forecast for Wednesday and Thursday was for extremely warm weather calling for warm rain in the fifty degree area. I hoped the ice could somehow hang on because it was going to cool off again Thursday night ( it did Thursday night was cold). Unfortunately my hope was wrong. Yesterday morning when I woke up, ponds that had six inches of ice were completely ice free. I couldn't believe my eyes.I doubt the ponds will refreeze enough for safe ice again this year.

Well, since the ice was not safe, I went back to my old winter hobby of striper fishing. That was out for almost a week because the river was solid ice. Yes, a salt river was iced over for a week. Because of the thaw I went back to see if any stripers were around. Along with a few other guys, we found the motherload. Stripers could be caught on almost every single cast. They were feeding aggressively even splashing the surface. Everyone was catching fish. They were in an area over a mile long. They were definately not holed up in just one spot. I ended up catching more stripers than any other day ever including the spring and fall. It was an awesome sight.

I went back on Thursday with my friend Amber. The wind switched to the north and it was cold. The fish completely shut off where weI went. We didn't catch any.

The beauty of having options is that cabin fever never sets in. Now that I fell for ice fishing, I will just do that when the weather is really cold. If there is no ice, I can fish for stripers every night. Either option beats watching tv and that is fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment