Wednesday, January 2, 2013


End of the Year review Part 1

This is part one of my end of the year review. Normally I would do it the last couple days of the year, but I have been so bored that I figured I would start it early, its not like much is going to change. I really enjoy doing my end of the year review. If for no other reason I can go back and remember the year. I get to go back and look at pictures I took and check up on my logs. Basically, I get to enjoy the memories I made. The review will be in three parts.
1 This is Part one- Looking back at the goals I set last January.

2. Fishing 2012

3. Anything else outdoors – daytrips, New Hampshire, historic sites, and animal count
This is my original list of goals I set for myself for 2012. I wrote them down the first week of January. I thought since I am laid up with my herniated disk, I could at least go back and see how I did. The below paragraph is part of what I wrote that day.  Under each one I wrote down if I accomplished the goal or not.

So over the last few days I came up with some goals this year. As I was writing them down they kept coming to me. Since I branched out and attempted to catch many species this year, I have more goals for the future. At the end of the year I will come back and revisit them and see if I was successful or if I fail

Here they are in no particular order:

1. Catch a twenty pound carp ( the biggest I caught this year was 17 pounds)


I caught a couple carp over 20 pounds including a weighed 24

2. Camp at Shawme Crowell ( campground down the Cape open all year )in the spring and trout fish all weekend
I did not camp at Shawme Crowell but it was by choice. I did spend many early spring days trout fishing several Cape Cod ponds

3. Fish Ethan and /or Shoal ponds for remote wild trout experience.

I did manage to fish at Shoal Pond. Ethan still eludes me. The hike back from Shoal was when my knee really hurt and could barely lift my leg to walk out the last five miles. I did not catch anything at Shoal. The hike was beautiful though and I would do it again.

4. Fish Nickerson State Park

I got out to Nickerson once. The wind was whipping around 30-40 mph. I caught one brookie and one pickerel at Little Cliff. It’s an awesome place, but I have to drive by no less than five great trout ponds to get there.
5. Go to Acadia National Park for vacation in June


We did vacation at Acadia. We spent a week in June. It rained almost every day due to a low pressure system that circled the northeast. Still it was a great vacation. We biked, hiked and did ranger programs. Amber enjoyed the week outdoors.

6. Wachusetts Reservoir
Fish for lakers in April
Fish for smallmouth and rock bass in May
Do not fish Wachusetts in the fall when I could be striper fishing

I fished for lakers in April, I didn’t get any but caught a 23 inch salmon so I will take that in trade. I didn’t make it there in May because I was striper and trout fishing. This fall I striper fished and that was the right decision because the fishing was HOT
7. Go to New Hampshire as often as possible

I got to New Hampshire five times this year. I hiked three mountains (South Twin, North Twin, Galehead) We went to Thoreau Falls, Shoal Pond and Chutters ( homemade fudge). Great memories

8. Try to fund my fishing habit through magazine articles, selling old stuff, anything other than my work pay check.
I had three articles in On the Water and a few in The Fisherman. So I was successful, however it seemed every time a check came in so did a bill… such is life

9. Try again for false albacore in late summer.

I finally caught albies. I caught five in one day. Notice the goal was to fish for them not catch one. I just wanted to put in the time to give myself a chance.  They are too erratic to assume because you fish for them you will catch them. I did witness the best albie day ever and for that I am grateful.

10. Catch a carp on a fly.
Epic Fail- I tried once. That day I walked through a giant poison ivy patch with just sandals on to fish by some trees. I went to a different lake to wash the ivy off. I used camp soap and scrubbed my lower legs and feet while standing in the water. When I looked up there was a sign on the tree that said this “This lake is sick. Do not swim in or touch the water” I am not making this up. I did not catch the poison ivy, but I did lose momentum to try again

11. This was not on my original list but once I caught a carp in January, I wanted to see if I could catch one during every month. I lost my streak in October due to fishing for stripers every night. I tried twice the last couple days of the month but did not land one. Also I have not gone carp fishing in December so I won’t get one this month unless the weather gods are kind to me after my neck heals.
Wrap up:

I had the best year ever fishing. I enjoyed trying to achive these goals. I fish, camp, and hike just because I love being outside.  In early May I went to Central MA searching for large mirror carp with one of my friends. It was about 45 degrees and raining. We fished for almost five hours. We only caught a couple fish and none of them were overly large. Yet, it was a memory that I look back on fondly. That is what it’s all about, making memories and getting outside. Sure I have goals and am working on new ones for this year but whether I reach them or not is not nearly as important as making memories.
If I have to sacrifice three weeks because of a sprained knee to see the view from South Twin Mountain then so be it. It just made the view that much sweeter.  If I sit in the rain in an attempt to catch a twenty  pound  carp or drive an hour and a half to see Nickerson State Park for the first time, these are small challenges compared to the reward afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment