Wednesday, March 29, 2023

Western Grebe


   Today I got my first lifer in six months. My friend Mike Tucker, whom lives in Woods Hole, posted a picture last night of a Western Grebe that he saw at John's Pond in Mashpee. It was a continuing bird and had been in this pond for a while, and before that it was in another pond in December. 

   I decided to go look for it today. Luckily it was not hard to find. It was lounging off of the town beach at John's Pond Park. It didn't dive much. It was mostly just swimming back and fourth casually in between naps. From the beach I had a great view of it with the sun behind me in both my binoculars and spotting scope. The photos were only okay as it was far out for my camera. I cropped a couple photos to give you an idea of what it looks like. 

  For anyone interested in seeing it, it seems to like the north end of the pond which is where the park and beach is. A scope would be needed if it were in the middle of the pond. If you GPS the location, make sure you write John's Pond Park. If you just type in John's Pond it will send you down some private roads on the south side of the pond.



No comments:

Post a Comment