Monday, March 6, 2023

Does Size Matter (when it comes to fishing rods)

 

One of my trout rods. 
6 foot ML Shimano Clarus 
Shimano Sedona Reel
6 pound Trilene  XL
 

         The following is a true story.

   I was at Bass Pro Shops in Foxboro for the Grand Opening. Before they let customers in, Bob Kraft and Bass Pro founder Johnny Morris gave speeches as did Tom Brady. Multiple Bass Pros such as Jimmy Houston and Roland Martin were there to sign autographs. There were also lesser know fishing pros there. 

   One of the pros was there the whole following week, though I can not remember his name. I decided I was in the market for a new rod to catch largemouth bass. There were two different rods I liked so I decided to ask this pro for advice between the two. Both of the rods were seven foot medium heavy rods of different brands, one was slightly cheaper than the other. 

   I walked up to the pro after rehearsing my questions in my head so as not to studder. I have a tendency to studder when words in my head move faster than my mouth. I asked my questions and he answered them. The pro was about the same size as me. We looked each other in the eyes straight across from each other. After he answered my questions, he got a little closer and said " You and I aren't the tallest guys in the world. Are you sure you'd be comfortable with a seven foot rod?

  Okay, I'm going to start a whole new paragraph before I tell you what I said. I own a lot of rods for a lot of different types of fishing. My two carp rods are really eight foot surf rods made to catch stripers. My actual striper rod at the time was a ten foot Fenwick matched  with a Shimano Spheros 12000 reel. The reel weighs 28 ounces. After casting that set up for an hour you know you've worked out. I already owned multiple six foot-six inch and seven foot freshwater rods. So yeah, I said "I'll be just fine casting a seven foot rod".

   That memory still makes me laugh. Up until that moment, I'd never thought about the size of a fishing pole versus the size of me. I needed a big rod for big fish, and smaller rods for little fish (like trout), and medium rods for medium fish like largemouth bass, schoolies, and pickerel. Where fish live matters too. You need a stronger rod for largemouth bass so you can pull them out of weeds than you do for smallmouth bass which live in much more open water. I can get away with a much lighter rod fishing from my kayak in a salt pond for striped bass than I can at Point Judith from shore. In the salt pond, a thirty five inch striper can pull me around until it gets tired, where as that same fish at Point Judith is going to rub the line against rocks and use the waves to its advantage.

   I was reminded of the above story when I was at the Springfield Sportsmen Show with my friend Dave Pickering. He did a seminar about carp. After the seminar Dave was asked what size rods he uses to catch trophy carp. He told them he uses twelve foot rods specifically made for carp. This is true, I've seen him use those rods dozens of times. As I've said above, my carp rods are eight foot saltwater rods. The reason Dave uses the twelve footers is because he can get leverage on a big fish. They also cast a method ball and sinker more than half way across a football field. 

  I use my eight footers simply because they work for me and I see no reason to buy specialty carp rods. Now, I have to admit, my biggest carp is just over twenty eight pounds, while Dave has caught multiple fish over forty pounds and scores over thirty. However, I am quite confident that if I hook into a huge carp, if I lose it, it won't be because my rod is too short. Both of us use twenty pound test Big Game line, so the chance of the line breaking is the same for both of us. Which really isn't much of a chance anyway if the drag is set where it should be on the reel. 

   On the other end of the fishing spectrum, some guys love fishing with ultra-light rods for trout. Many guys use 4'6" rods and five foot rods that are ultra light. They like the feeling of a fish bending the rod. I use heavier rods. My trout rods are six foot medium light action. They are a foot and a half taller than what some guys use and two actions heavier than ultra-light.

    My medium-light action rods can cast a country mile further than those little rods. They can cast heavier lures much easier also. Another benefit is I can reel in a fourteen inch trout much quicker. The ultra- light guys consider it sporting to catch the fish on lighter line and a lighter rod. However, I think its more more sporting to get the fish in quicker instead of fighting to exhaustion if you are going to release it. My favorite method to catch trout with spinning gear is with a casting bubble and fly. The bubble when filled with water weighs quite a bit. My medium light rods can cast it a very long distance. You would have a tough time casting a bubble/fly with a small ultra light. Sure you could do it, but it wouldn't be a lot of fun.

   When it comes to rods, it is about preference within reason. You wouldn't want to fish for bluegills with a big surf rod. It wouldn't be any fun catching nine inch fish on it. Conversely, you wouldn't want your every day rod to catch stripers and bluefish to be fitted with four pound breaking strengths line. So does size matter? Well you really don't want it too small, and you probably don't want it too big. What you are looking for is a rod that is the right fit for your needs. Sound about right?


    

1 comment:


  1. Good blog informatve for readers such a nice content keep posting thanks for sharing

    Things to do Near Andover Ohio

    ReplyDelete