Friday, March 17, 2023

On the Schneid


    My morning started with my friend Tiffany tagging me on Facebook with the photo to the left. To be funny I wrote back that I don't need to pretend to catch big fish. I also sent photos of two stripers in the thirty pound range to prove my point...Bad Karma

   After I ate breakfast I went trout fishing at a recently stocked pond in Seekonk. There were two guys fishing near the dam. I've fished this pond multiple times and this is the area the trout usually hang out because of the current. I didn't intrude on them and fished off to the right. I was close enough to hear they were getting hits on their lures but the fish weren't taking them.

   Eventually, one of the guys moved closer to his buddy, so I moved within casting distance of the current. Soon enough one of the guys hooked a brook trout, then another. The other guy hooked a really good size brookie roughly fifteen inches. This went on for a little over an hour. At this point they started talking to me so I fished close enough to chat with them. All three of us were casting in the same spot and they were catching trout and I was not. I got three hits, but nothing to show for it. They  ended up with seven trout. I got the proverbial skunk.

   Today was the third time I've gone trout fishing in the last week. I've yet to catch a fish. The first time I went, last Tuesday, there were about six guys fishing and no one caught a fish. Its's easier to take a blank when everyone else is too. Either the fish aren't biting or more likely the fish aren't in front of you. Today, that was not the case, it would have been humiliating if it weren't so funny. I've been on the other side of the equation where I've had fish right in front of me and I was the only one catching. Today, that role was reversed. I may as well have watched a fishing show without a rod in my hand, because either way I watched fish being caught while I had a goose egg to show.

   On my ride home I could hear Chris Berman (from ESPN Sunday Night Primetime doing highlights) talking about teams on losing streaks being "on the schneid" Usually it would be the Jets or Colts on a five game losing streak being on the schneid. So for better or worse, my fishing season is starting off like the Jets with Zach Wilson! 

No comments:

Post a Comment