Friday, November 2, 2018

If I can't bird in the rain, I'll just fish

I had big plans to go birding this morning then fish this afternoon. The Weather Gods had other plans. I tried birding this morning. I went to Acadia Management area and Peckham Farm. The weather went from a mist to a downpour to light rain and back again.All while a constant 30 mph wind blew. I realized fairly quickly that birding was an exercise in futility. Around 10:30 I left Peckham Farm and I looked for fish.

Well, the Weather Gods may have cared less that I had today off from work, but the Fishing Gods took pity on me. At the first place I went I saw fish breaking in big schools way out. There were random fish breaking in the heavy surf also. There were Northern Gannets and Gulls diving everywhere.

I put my waders on and started catching, I mean fishing. There were so many fish, it was impossible to miss. At first I was using a Jumpin' Minnow but after a bunch of fish, I switched to an egg/ bucktail.  My friends Dave and Dick both came down. They got a ton of fish along with a few guys I didn't know. Dave and his son stayed a couple hours after I left and the hammered the fish near dark .

Even though I spent most of the day fishing I did get to enjoy some birds. The Gannets put on a spectacular show bombing into the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment