Friday, August 11, 2017

Kayak and Quahogs

If I'm being honest, my kayak is easily one of my favorite possessions. During the spring when trout have been stocked and stripers are in salt ponds, it is on my roof racks for almost two months straight.

The nice thing about a kayak, is besides getting to places a land lubber can't reach, it can also save you money. Today, I went birding at the Charlestown mudflats. Without my kayak, I would have had to pay the non-resident fee at Charlestown Beach. Since I had my kayak, I just launched at the free boat ramp. My paddle was about ten minutes. Paddling my 'yak for ten minutes saved me twelve bucks (considering I go birding at the mudflats four or five times a year, the savings really add up).

Birding was only okay today. There were a lot of shorebirds. They were all the usual suspects. The best bird I saw was white rumped sandpiper. However, as you can see by the photo, I came across some littlenecks. They turned into a nice treat when I got home.

No comments:

Post a Comment