Friday, March 24, 2017

Finally did some fishing

This must be the latest in the year I have ever gone until I went fishing. Today I got out and did some trout fishing. I can't say the weather was springlike since I spent most of the time fishing in a hail squall (not sure if that is a real thing, but that was the weather).

Surprisingly, the fishing was pretty good. I assumed the trout would hit Powerbait, but didn't have any confidence they would hit lures. I fished one rod with Powerbait, while I casted a Yellow Coachdog Roostertail with the other. Usually, when the water is really cold I have absolutely no luck at all with lures.

So I was mildly surprised when on my second cast I felt a solid bump on the spinner. On the next cast I landed my first fish of the year, a foot long rainbow. Not only did I hook it on the lure but it even jumped once.

To make a boring story short, I ended up with six trout today, all about a foot long. Four on the spinner and two on the Powerbait. Both fish caught on Powerbait were hooked in the lip, henceforth they were released. I only fished for a little more than an hour. Considering the sky was dropping ice pellets on me and into the water, I was thrilled with the production. I was even happier the fish were willing to chase lures

No comments:

Post a Comment