Sunday, December 25, 2016

Skiing!!!!

It was bound to happen at some point. My kid enjoys skiing. My best friend is a ski instructor. So sooner or later I was going to ski. This fall DJ decided to buy me skis. He got me skis, boots, and poles so I really didn't have a choice. So this week Dave called me up to ask when I wanted to go. We had planned on going Thursday, but the weather was bad in the morning. So we went on Friday.

First off, there is nothing better than going with an instructor. My day was basically a five hour private lesson. We started off without even having skis on our boots.  He went over the position to be in and the movement of feet in the pie position.

 Next I had to climb a few feet up the hill.  Dave had me get in position and slide twenty feet down the hill. We worked our way further up the small hill. After a little while and after a lot of sweat climbing the hill I finally worked my way to the magic carpet. This meant I no longer had to climb the hill and I could let  the carpet take me up. This is the smallest most gradual hill at Wachusett, but for me conquering it did not seem like a possibility at all.

We practiced turning for a long time. It took me forever to learn to turn. Dave kept giving me pointers, but I was not getting it. I was lacking confidence. Every time I'd pick up any speed I'd get nervous and not trust the turn. Dave left to do a couple runs before we stopped for lunch. I kept working on my turns. I fell about one out of three runs. There wasn't much he could do for me, I just needed to practice.

After lunch we went back out. Dave gave me a couple more pointers. I told him to go off and have some fun.  I kept working. We decided to meet back at the lodge forty five minutes later. Soon after Dave went to the lifts "it clicked". I started to keep my center of balance. I started to turn much more easily. I did six runs and didn't fall. I picked up a little speed but controlled it. Of course, this was on the smallest bunny hill. But at least I went from extremely frustrated to gaining a  little confidence. Next time I go, I should be able to use the longer bunny hill. That way I can continue to practice my turns for a longer period of time.

From what Dave tells me, I learned as much as I would have in two normal lessons. He also kept telling me before we went that kids and young adults pick it up way faster than adults. We old people find it much more difficult. My son basically learned to ski on his own. However, there is no way I could have gotten it without a lot of guidance.


Info

If you have never skied before I highly recommend a lesson. I went to Wachusett. I bought a carpet ticket. This is not a lift ticket, it only takes you up the little slopes. The ticket was only $18. I thought it was a great deal. It makes sense for the ski area to keep prices low until you learn to ski and need a lift ticket. That way, you'll get hooked and then "they gotcha". Next time I'll still buy a carpet ticket because I graduated to the bigger carpet, but am no where ready for a lift ticket.

Wachusett rents gear, gives group lessons, and has a place to warm up and buy food. Since my son bought me the gear and I went with an expert skier, I did not get the prices. I'm sure all that info is on Wachusetts website and every other ski area. You can also bring a lunch.

Be careful, skiing is an expensive sport, you might become addicted. Once I could turn a little bit, I couldn't wait to get back to the top and make another twenty second run!

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HANUKKAH

No comments:

Post a Comment