Friday, December 9, 2016

Carol's Christmas and A Christmas Carol

Truth be told, I've only gone to four plays in my life. It just so happens that three of them were this month and two of them were the last two days.

On Thursday I went to the Arctic Theater in West Warwick to  see "Carol's Christmas". The play is about Dickens. He has writers block, his publisher is expecting words and many of them. The deadline is two weeks. Into his life comes a muse named Carol. She has her own problem, she doesn't have any Christmas spirit. In a night she takes him to see his past, present, and the future (2016). Sounds familiar right? From this journey comes the inspiration for A Christmas Carol.

The play was written by Shannon McLoud. She is also the narrator for the play. In between scenes carolers come out and sing a Christmas song. Many of them have parts in the play also. The play was beyond entertaining. It was down right hilarious. There aren't any more showings this year, but it is coming back again next year. I highly recommend seeing it.

I can't stress enough how much I enjoy going to the Arctic Playhouse. The small room is such a cool spot to see a play. The tickets for Carol's Christmas were $10. Most of the plays held there are $13 in advance and $18 at the door. The two times I have gone, there have been free cookies and, popcorn and coffee. They also have free bottles of water. There is a donation jar, the cookies are well worth putting in a couple buck in it.

Christmas Carol

It was ironic that we planned on seeing Dickens' Christmas Carol a day after seeing Carol's Christmas. We saw it at the Stadium Theater in Woonsocket, RI. Tickets for the play are 21/26. We got our tickets well in advance and got second row aisle seats. I have to admit, I wasn't looking forward to this as much as I was Thursday's play. First off, how many different versions have we all seen on tv? It just seemed like I'd be watching a boring rerun. However, Laurie wanted to go, so I didn't let on my lack of enthusiasm.

Holy  crap was I wrong! The play was awesome. I couldn't imagine the Trinity Rep version ( hundred dollar tickets, cheap seats are $45!) could have done any better. The acting was amazing. The ghosts flew. There was a fog machine. The few songs that were song were great. I am so happy we went. Laurie was in absolute awe.

The show lasted about two hours with an intermission. It is playing through the weekend. If you have any thoughts about going you should. As Laurie said " I can't believe that was only $26, it felt like a Broadway show"

No comments:

Post a Comment