Thursday, December 22, 2016

Blitzkrieg Birding

Northern Pintail
I was supposed to go skiing for the first time in my life today. Unfortunately the weather in the morning was not good to the north so we pushed the plans until tomorrow. I was going to meet my friend Dave at 10 am. Before that, I planned on dropping off some presents to friends at work. I got the call that the weather was no good as I was just finishing up loading my car with my ski equipment, pies, and and presents.

I decided to drop off the presents anyway. I got done about 9:30 am. I had to be home at 5 because my friend Laurie and I had plans to go see a movie. I haven't been birding in a while. The last time I went, the weather was still warm. In the last month the winter birds have arrived. Along with the usual birds there has been a bunch of rarities discovered.

As soon as I dropped off my last package I jumped on the highway. I knew of at least four rare species that had been sited over the last week. On top of those birds, I am still trying to get a Rhode Island Long Tailed Duck which can be seen at Beavertail (by everyone but me apparently).

My first stop was at Wachocomet Cove. There is a rare goose there called a Greylag. When I got there, a bunch of birders were looking at it. I knew it was a rare bird for RI before I went. I am even sure this bird is the first ever for its species in Rhode Island. I watched it for about a half hour then took off for my next chase.

I did not realize how rare this bird is in the USA until I got home. It might be the third sighting in the whole country based on what I've read tonight. These geese are domesticated, so there is the possibility it is not a wild bird. There are going to be people studying this bird to make a decision. If it is wild, then it is by far the best bird I have ever seen in the USA. I saw people from Maine and Connecticut looking at it today. If it is deemed wild and it sticks around, people will come from all over the country to see it.

Next I went to Third Beach in Middletown. The only fairly common duck I have not seen this year is Northern Pintail. It also happens to be my favorite duck. One has been in the marsh behind the beach for a week. It took me ten minutes to find it, got a picture and headed to Beavertail. I was two for two in a forty five minute period. I was feeling pretty good and was hoping for a great day.

Not so fast- Although there were lots of ducks at Beavertail, I did not find the one I was looking for. I
Snow Buntings
was also hoping for a Black Legged Kittiwake, but no luck there either. By far the highlight of my hour on Jamestown were some Snow Buntings right in the second parking lot at Beavertail. They were close and got some decent pictures.  I also did see some Purple Sandpipers, so it wasn't all bad.

From Jamestown I drove to East Beach to look for some Crossbills. I didn't find them either. However, I did see a few Red Breasted Nuthatches. They were a new bird for me in Rhode Island. So although I didn't see the crossbills, the hour was not wasted.

Lastly I drove back up to Moonstone Beach. Three Trumpeter Swans have been hanging out at Trustom Pond for a couple weeks. I got a quick peek at one, but it was far away. I can count it as a new bird for the year but it certainly wasn't the great look I was hoping for.

As soon as I left the swan I headed home. Laurie beat me to my house, but only by a couple minutes. I don't normally like rushing when I go birding. Normally I take my time enjoying the day. I do my best not to make it a numbers game even though that is what birding is. Today was different, I hadn't gone birding in so long. There is only a few days left to add to my 2016 list.  I wanted to give myself every opportunity to see the rare and new birds. Considering how rare the goose was, I probably should have watched it all day. There are literally thousands of birders in this country that would have loved to have been me, and I stayed a half hour and moved on.
Sand Trail at East Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment