Friday, March 25, 2016

Trout Fishing in Plymouth

On a very warm, kind of wet day (on and off rain showers) I went trout fishing in Plymouth. I enjoy
chasing trout in both Plymouth and the Cape. There are a lot of trout ponds fairly close together in Plymouth. My favorite trout pond on the Cape has not been stocked yet, so choosing Plymouth was a no-brainer.

Sometimes when I go trout fishing, I'll leave the house before dawn. It is still early in the year, so I knew trout fishing wouldn't be great (water is still very cold and very little insect life) so I left home about 8:30.

Before I went fishing I stopped at Plymouth Long Beach. I had never been there and wanted to take a look. It was a cool spot. There were a lot of sea ducks in the water. I spotted a Long Tailed Duck. My first of the year. I've tried to see it about eight times in RI, I saw it today before my car was even parked. Go figure.

After hanging out at the beach for an hour, the first place I fished was Lout Pond. Before I even talk about my day, let me freely admit, I would have caught more fish if I used Powerbait. I know the stuff works. It works way better in cold water than lures because lethargic fish do not have to chase it. I hate using it. I'd much rather cast and move than sit there waiting for a trout to swallow the hook. Which is the other reason I don't like using it, most fish will be gut hooked and I don't keep many fish.

So I started with a yellow Roostertail. Within five cast I had my first fish, a twelve inch brookie. I caught another one a minute later. I caught four in thirty minutes. Then it started to rain. It didn't bother me, I was wearing my raincoat and standing in thigh deep water in my waders. It did something to the fish though. I didn't get a hit for another forty five minutes. So I left.

I went to Little Pond, just up the street. My plan was to walk the area around the boat ramp. That proved impossible since five guys had rods spread out with Powerbait. All these guys were sitting in their pick up trucks because of the rain. I wasn't too upset about this. I have never done well at Little Pond, so I just moved on.

From there I went to Fearings. I love Fearings. I can't say it is the pond I've done the best at, but I like the scenery and I have had some good days. Not today. I waded about a quarter of the shoreline back and forth with multiple lures. I never even got a bump. There were two guys fishing a very productive point with Powerbait. While I was fishing, they didn't get any hits either. The fish just were not in the mood.

So that's how my day went. I got four brookies which isn't bad. In another two weeks or so when the water warms up a few degrees, the trout fishing will get hot.

2 comments:

  1. Thank You, another great blog, I read every thing you write, Wayne, HOST and WEB-MASTER of the OUTDOOR SCENE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wayne. I appreciate that very much

    ReplyDelete