Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Greater White Fronted Goose

 Yesterday I got an email that a rare goose was in a pond in Mansfield, MA. The pond is only about fifteen minutes from my house. It would have been nice to chase a bird so close to home. Usually when a rare bird is seen, it is usually at exotic places such as Race Point (Yellow Billed Loon, two and a half hour drive). The bird is a Greater White Fronted Goose. I have never seen one. However, I never checked my email until last night, so needless to say, I wanted to kick myself. 

I knew all was not lost though. The night was going to bring  very strong north winds. I assume the goose in migrating north (they summer in the Arctic). Considering how strong the  north wind was over night I thought, there might be a chance the goose would still be around today. I didn't know how much of a chance, but hope was not lost. Needless to say, I checked my emails a few times today.

The goose did not leave, but it moved to a different pond. It originally was in Fulton Pond but today it was downstream in Kingman Pond. The problem with this pond is it doesn't have much public access. There is one little path that leads to the pond. Luckily, I could see the goose across the other side of the pond. It is small, so with my scope, I got a pretty good view. There was no way I'd get any good pictures though. The goose across the pond was right next to the Mansfield Police Station. 

I decided it was worth being turned down and went inside to ask if I could photograph the bird. They were extremely nice and said it was no problem. The GWFG was only 20-30 feet from the grass at the police station. I snapped fifty photos in 5-7 minutes. I did not want to wear out my welcome. 

This may have been one of the easiest birds I have ever chased. The drive was fifteen minutes. Geese are big birds, as opposed to looking for a sparrow in bushes. It was right on a pond, no searching at all. I kind of wish they were all that easy.
The orange legs and the white face mask
are key field marks for GWFG





These geese are much smaller than Canada Geese






No comments:

Post a Comment