Saturday, September 5, 2015

Thoughts about the Red Sox and ESPN

One of the best unceremoniously getting kicked to the curb! 
This past week a lot has happened in the world of New England sports. Since going to sporting events
is certainly a recreational activity for a lot of people, and I am a sports fan, I thought I'd post my thoughts about it.

Tom Brady

As for the Tom Brady ruling, can you imagine that it got so out of control that it had to be decided in Federal Court. The fact that the loser of the case (double meaning for Goddell) is even going to appeal the decision. Seriously? All he had to say was " I disagree with the judge's ruling but it's time to get past it and play football" That's it, lets move on. To drag a case about PSI into the upcoming season is ridiculous

Don Orsillo

More importantly to me, I am disgusted by the way the Boston Red Sox have treated Don Orsillo.  Orsillo is considered one of the best local broadcasters in the country. He is so good in fact, that Fox uses him during their wildcard coverage. The only reason to watch this lousy team is to see what Don and Jerry are going to talk about.

Orsillo turned down a huge contract with TBS a few years ago. He didn't leave the Red Sox because this was his dream job. Fans love him here. He was voted New England's favorite broadcaster two years in a row. The Sox had the right not to renew his contract. However he is well loved by the fans. The players like him and from everything I read, he is great to work with. Dave O'Brien might be just as good, but why get rid of a fan favorite that is doing a great job.

As things unfolded, their have been leaks from the Sox. The Red Sox asked a fired Don Orsillo to lie and say his leaving was mutual. He would not lie to us, he hasn't for 15 years, he wasn't about to now. How awful is it to fire a guy, then ask him to "take one for the team"

Also, the Sox would not allow any pro Orsillo signs into the stadium after they got back from their road trip. Signs were confiscated at the gates. THEN!they lied about it and said signs were not confiscated. Seriously, do these people have any morals. I am losing all faith in the Red Sox/ NESN ownership.

I new that the Francona years were "the glory years". I knew I was watching something special. Francona was the best manager the Sox have ever had. When the Red Sox similarly dismissed Francona I was mad. I knew it was the end of an era. I was so mad I boycotted the Red Sox for all of 2012. I didn't watch one game. I never saw the disaster of Bobby Valentine in a Sox uniform except on Sportscenter. I plan on doing the same thing next year. The way the Red Sox kicked to the curb someone that has been in their family for 15 years is awful. I am ashamed to say I root for this team owned by such low class scumbags!!!

ESPN needs to get over themselves

You may have read that ESPN was suspended Curt Schilling for at least the rest of the year because he made a comparison in a tweet between Muslim terrorists and Nazis. This is one of many incidents where ESPN has suspended its personalities. I have a problem with this and it is getting old.

First off Schill is a hardcore Republican, ESPN knew this when the hired him. He is active in politics and campaigned for W. If they thought he was going to keep his conservative beliefs to himself, they were naive'. Secondly, Curt is in love with his own voice. He likes being the center of attention. He thrives on it. He used to call the radio station WEEI when he was a member of the Red Sox to do impromptu interviews. He can be arrogant and bullheaded. There is no possible way ESPN didn't know this when they hired him.

You know what else Schilling is? He isn't a bullshitter. He tells you how he sees things and lets you agree or not. You may not like what he has to say, but he is going to tell you anyway. In the land of "Bill Belichick cliches" it is/was refreshing to hear an athlete tell you exactly how they feel about something. I am not a hardcore Republican so I agree with about 40% of what "Curt in the Car " has to say. Whether I agree with him or not, he is thoughtful and some of his comments open up discussion.

So I think it is ridiculous that ESPN suspended him about a tweet he made. Why, because his opinion  made the channel look bad? Seriously? I am tired of ESPN doing this. I don't think his tweet was offensive, but even if you do, why shouldn't he be able to speak his mind about terrorists? Or for that matter, any other subject?  Don't these analysts have the right to have an opinion without fear of losing his job? He didn't say anything on the air, and even if he did, why can't ESPN just say  " the views of our analysts do not necessarily coincide with the views of our network"

This has happened to Bill Simmons because of a rant about Roger Goddell. Yes, a two week suspension because he ranted about Goddell, calling him a liar over the leagues domestic abuse policy. Your suspending him over that? Come on ESPN have some balls and stand by your people. By the way Simmons contract was not renewed either.

Tony Kornheiser was suspended in 2010 because he made some inappropriate comments about Hannah Storm. They were sexist, and crossed the line. I won't argue what he said was wrong. However, couldn't he just apologize. He made a mistake, he got on a bad roll and kept going with it. Of any of my examples, Tony most deserved a suspension, but again, he gets paid to have an opinion. It bothers me that these people get paid a lot of money to open their mouth, they just have to make sure they don't open it too far or they will get muzzelled

No comments:

Post a Comment