Saturday, September 12, 2015

A great day carping was not even remotely in my plans yesterday

Lately, all I have been thinking about is surf fishing. It is the time of year when I hopefully have a shot at false albacore. There have been stripers in Rhode Island waters for about a month. I have gotten to the ocean a few times. Although this year seems like it is going to be a dud for the albies, it has not stopped me from thinking about them continuously.

Thursday I went to the West Wall in search of albies but none showed up. I decided to go to Narragansett and try for stripers. I had gone Wednesday night and picked up a few on poppers. Unfortunately, when I got to Narragansett, the cold front come through, with it a huge thunderstorm. I waited out the storm for over an hour, but finally I gave up and went home.

Friday morning I woke up thinking about my striped friends. I knew the wind was northeast and could have dirtied the water. I was willing to take that chance, just because I am obsessed with stripers and albies right now. My friend Dave called me and he was going carp fishing half way between home and the ocean. I decided to join him for a while. I planned on leaving around 1-2 o'clock and go to the ocean.  He planned on  doing the same thing as we both packed our carp and saltwater gear.

I met him around 11:30 at the pond. To make a long story short we had absolutely amazing carp fishing. For me, it was the best day of the year. Between us we caught a whopping twenty carp. Of course, he caught more than me, but trust me, it is expected. Fishing was so good, neither of decided to leave. We ended up staying at the pond until after 5 pm. Besides the fish we caught, we had a few others come off during the fight. All the fish were in the teens. Although we didn't have any monsters, they were all decent size fish.

Dave's son who lives in Narragansett went to the ocean. He tried a few spots, many of which were dirty. He did eventually find fish. However, carp fishing has days that are few and far between that are as epic as Friday was. So although I can't stop thinking about surf fishing, we clearly made the correct decision and took advantage of the hungry carp.

No comments:

Post a Comment