Monday, July 8, 2013

Packing Tips

My packing list

When I first started camping a few years ago, it took me forever to pack for a weekend camping trip. It was to the point where I would spend the afternoon the day before a trip getting ready. It drove me nuts. Of course twenty five miles from home a light bulb would go off above my head that I forgot something. It’s not a big deal when that something is sandals or a tooth brush (you can always buy a toothbrush), but it sucks if you leave your bank card or camera on the counter
I have cut this time down to about an hour. It would be less if I wasn’t meticulous about my fishing gear. I hope I can give you some tips to cut down or your time also.

A couple years ago I wrote a list of everything I would ever need camping. It is a master list that includes everything I need. Of course what I would take is different than what a family of four would take. Looking over the list a few times while packing reminds me I may have forgotten my raincoat or knee brace. It would be a good idea to write this list at your leisure. Writing it the morning of a trip is no different than packing without a list. You’re bound to forget something. Making a list a week in advance will give you time to remember stuff you didn’t think about at first.

Another way I save time on packing day is to grocery shop before that day. We used to make a special trip to buy our camping food while we pack. Now if I’m leaving on a Wednesday and I need house groceries on Monday I will pick up my camping food then. That way I’m not wasting forty five minutes doing something I could have done days earlier. Again, groceries will be different for you than me. They are different for me when I go alone or with DJ or Laurie. Alone I don’t cook at all. I usually eat a cold can of Ravioli and cookies. For breakfast I eat a banana or can of pineapple. With DJ and Laurie we usually cook at least supper. So I have to plan accordingly.

When I pack I try to break up my gear into categories Of course I have big camping supplies. These would include tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and backpack(s). I almost always have fishing gear for whatever species I am after. I will get it ready all at once. Assuming I am taking canoe or kayak I get those accessories (paddles, life jackets, back rests). Food goes into its own box as does clothes. I almost never take a cooler but I am sure most people would.

I will pack all my electronics that I am taking at the same time. This includes my camera, batteries, battery charger and phone charger. This is also when I make sure I have my money, bank card and driver’s license in the car (I don’t have a wallet)

Another way to keep time down is to keep some of the stuff already packed. I have a cardboard box packed with all my small camping supplies so I never need to pack them. In the box I have:

Lantern
Camping Stove/Fuel/ Lighter/ Dryer Lint (an excellent fire starter)

Toilet Paper and Shovel

Pans/Dishware/Forks, knives, spoons
Water filter

Plastic bags and ziplocks
Of course the water filter is only needed on a long hike, but I leave it in the box so I won’t have to find it when I need it. I bought dollar store dishware and silverware so I just leave that packed.  I have a set of light weight pans made for camping.

In my car at all times I have what I call a “go everywhere box” I have a five dollar bill, quarters, extra pair of socks, some fishing gear and a few other odds and ends. It is very handy and has bailed me out of minor emergencies more than once. In the box I always keep sunscreen, pliers, bug spray, head lamp, my hygiene bag (for those times I forgot to put on deodorant) and my first aid kit. Since this stuff is already in the car I never forget to bring them. However I always double check to make sure the bug spray isn’t empty or that I didn’t lose my toothbrush.

Recently I have started keeping a set of clothes already packed and almost ready to go. Already packed are a couple pairs of boxers and socks, bathing suit, hiking socks, sweatshirt and hiking t shirts. I keep a towel packed. The towel serves double duty as my pillow in the tent. All I have to add is shorts maybe a t shirt and my raincoat. My raincoat is usually in the car anyway.

Having the box of camping gear altogether and ready to go is a huge time saver. One time I spent an hour looking for my lantern in the shed. I finally had enough of that. If I didn’t already keep the first aid kit, compass, hygiene bag, sunscreen, head lamps and bug spray in the car I would keep it in this box. Having all this stuff is so much easier than having to pack every time. Having the hygiene bag is especially nice. It beats having to remember your deodorant or packing the toothpaste after the last person brushed their teeth at six am. Well worth the ten bucks to have this stuff ready to go.

Another tip I can give some of you. My lantern uses AA batteries. So does my camera. I bought rechargeable batteries and a charger. Every night we take the batteries from the camera and use them in the lantern. In the morning we charge the batteries while driving to our first destination. They only take about 10 minutes to recharge. I just bought new batteries because the old ones wouldn’t charge any more. I had them THREE FULL YEARS. I think I got my monies worth out of them.
All my pans, bowls, and forks stay in this bag year round. This bag
stays in the above camping box, so I never forget it.

Many people take a cooler and or a grill camping with them. These are obviously important items. Since I spend most of my time fishing or hiking I don’t want to spend much time cooking. However I know a lot of people enjoy making an outdoors supper. I can’t argue with cheese burgers on the grill. On second thought maybe I will bring a grill next time… to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment