Wednesday, July 17, 2013

How to make a baiting needle



Besides a saw, this is everything needed to
make a baiting needle
How to Make a Baiting Needle

One of the things those new to carp fishing find surprising is that we do not put the corn on the hook. We put the corn on a “hair rig” leaving the hook completely exposed. You can, and many people do, put corn directly on a hook, but everyone that carp fishes regularly use hair rigs


The problem is, how does one gets the corn on the hair? We use what is called a baiting needle. There are two types of baiting needles. One has a crochet needle. It has a small hook at the end to hold the line. The other is a simple barb to hold on the line.


Cut the dowel into two and a half to three inch pieces
Baiting needles are very inexpensive. The ones I use are only about $1.29. I think the expensive ones are about four dollars. The problem is for most of us, baiting needles are only available online. I have never seen one at a tackle shop. I usually pick up a couple every time I buy carp gear. Unfortunately, just buying baiting needles is expensive because of shipping. Since most online stores charge a minimum $6 shipping cost, it is financially unsound to buy a couple baiting needles and pay the shipping.


The other day I broke my last baiting needle. There was no way I was going to buy five baiting needles and spend just as much in shipping. So I decided to make my own. It was very simple to make some. I made four in about a ten minute period. I’ve tested them out. So far I find them to be very functional working just as well as the store bought ones.


 

Materials needed
A dowel with a hole drilled into it
3/8 inch dowel

Some sort of epoxy or glue

Size 2 long shank (Aberdeen hooks)
Drill

 file or sandpaper (optional)
pliers




 1.      Cut the dowel into as many three inch pieces as you plan on making. I make four at a time
2.      Once cut, I file the ends to make them nice and smooth

3.      Drill a hole in one end with a very small drill bit. I drill a hole about ½ inch

4.      With pliers straighten out the hook as best you can. I put the pliers as close to the barb as I can and straighten the long end.  Be careful not to crush the barb because the barb is the most important piece of the finished product.

5.      Put a small amount of glue on the eye end of the hook, Get some in the eye and the first half inch.

6.      Put the eye in the hole of the dowel and push down as far as you can. Let dry.


These are the hooks I used to make the baiting
needles
I use Gorilla Glue. The reason is, Gorilla glue expands as it dries. While its drying in the dowel it expands so much it locks the hook in place.

 


















Put a hook in the pliers as close to the barb as you can
With your other hand straighten the shank


















The hook won't be perfectly straight, just do your best





















Use some epoxy or glue. Put it on about a half inch
of the eye end of the hook.
Then stick the eye into the hole of your dowel


















The finished product
































No comments:

Post a Comment