Sunday, July 7, 2013

Carping in the Heat


Carping in the Heat

Finally did some carp fishing today. It was only the second time I’ve gone carp fishing in at least a month. The weather in Southern New England has been ridiculously hot the last few days. For 4th of July, we spent time at movies and swimming. There was no way I planned on doing any fishing in the sun. Dave called me because I told him I had today off. He proposed we fish a spot completely covered from the sun.
We set up our rods about 9:30. We didn’t get any fish in the first spot so we moved to another protected area. We didn’t get anything there for at least 90 minutes. Then all of the sudden during the hottest part of the day carp started jumping. We were happy to at least see some fish. Then they started hitting. Each caught a couple fish. They were all between 13-15 pounds. They were river fish so they fought like hell.

A weird thing happened while we were fishing. When I was reeling in my corn to put on a method ball, I felt a tug. Next thing I know a small fish jumped out of the water three feet. Dave asked me what I had on. I told him I didn’t know but I thought it was a smallmouth bass. Sure enough when I reeled it in, it was a 9 inch smallie. First off I had no idea smallies were in the river then to catch it on corn was equally surprising.
So I can only tell you that if you can stand the heat, there are fish around. I mean if you fish freshwater whether for bass or carp, where are they going to go? They are kind of a captive audience. Getting them to hit is the trick in this hot weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment