Saturday, May 12, 2012

Amazing Day in Concord with Amber

Statue at Lexington Green
Today was my first day off in ten days. During those ten days I couldn't go very far because I was on call.( I know your sick of me whining about it in every post, but yay its over!). For the first time in almost two weeks I was free to do whatever I wanted... almost. My little buddy Amber has the month of May off from cheerleading. I haven't seen her in a while so I offered to take her overnight Friday and hang out with her all day Saturday. We fished a little on Friday night at Falls Pond for about 15 minutes. Amber caught a couple small sunfish and I caught a small goose egg ( zero).

Paul Revere Capture site
Knowing a nine year old would be bored out of her mind on an all day fishing adventure today, that idea was out. So I had to come up with a day trip. After some thought I decided Amber needed a little history in her life and we went to Concord, MA. For those of you that don't remember your history books, the Revolutionary War started  April 19, 1775 at Lexington and Concord.  So we ate breakfast and off we went.




There is a lot to do in Concord. There is the battlefield, museums, historical houses owned by authors, hiking trails, ponds, Concord River and more.  I wanted Amber to understand the battle without over whelming her and it was gorgeous out so we stayed outside ( besides at the visitor center) and went to the battlefields followed by some bird watching.

Old North Bridge


First we stopped at the Visitor Center and watched the 25 minute movie about Paul Revere's ride and the battles at Lexington Green, the Old North Bridge and Battle Road. Then we went to the Paul Revere capture site. From there we went to Lexington Green, one of the places I had never been to. After that we went to the North Bridge. I tried to get Amber to remember a few of the key facts. We went over them a few times.  
Blanding Turtle


Northern Water Snakes
After a snack in the parking lot we headed to Great Meadows. There were some nice birds like the marsh wren and Amber found a Yellowthroat. However the highlights were definitely the reptiles. We saw 7 snakes many sun turtles, a small snapper and an endangered Blanding turtle. The Blanding turtle was a first for me. Three of the snakes were garters. We also saw four northern water snakes all tangled up together. It was awesome.

.
Sleepy Muskrat

Amber seemed to enjoy the history of Concord. It was perfect timing because she is learning about Colonial America at school right now. There were so many animal especially snakes at Great Meadows it felt like a zoo. What a great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment