Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Opposite of Big Carp


Went fishing last night with Jeff Henderson. We tried a spot on the Blackstone in Massachusetts. My friend Dave Pickering already told me there were a lot of carp at this spot. He also told me they were small. I was in the mood to catch a lot of fish. I was willing to trade quality for quanity. Carp fishing is unlike most types of fishing. A good day is really anything over three fish. Can you imagine fishing for three or four hours and consistantly catching only one or two bass? Probably not, but carp guys do it all the time. So I was more than willing to catch a bunch of small ones if it meant catching a lot.

Dave was absolutely right. Between Jeff and myself we caught 9 carp ( I also caught a bullhead and Jeff caught a sucker). He was even more correct about the size. They were S-M-A-L-L. In my life I probably caught maybe 3 carp under 3 pounds. That all changed last night. We were catching some that were white perch size. All nine were under three pounds, most about 12-14 inches. It was fun to have all those hits. I guess sometimes you do get what you ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment