Monday, August 8, 2011

Congradulations DJ and North High Cross Country for doing the Providence Rock and Roll Half Marathon




Although not what you expect me to write about, I think the kids from the North Attleboro High School deserve a big congratulations for competing in Sunday's 13.1 mile race. My son DJ along with 20 other members of the cross country team ran the 1/2 marathon. They had to be at the high school at 5:30 am so they could be at check in at the State Capitol Building for a race start time of 7:00. It was absolutely miserable out. It was raining almost constantly. Sometimes down pouring with only occasional periods of light precipitation.
  The kids  ran for charity. They could have just paid the regular entrance fee, but they wanted to do something special.  The team raised over $ 4800 for the Ronald McDonald House. The recieved private donations and did fund raising. I could not be prouder of my son and the upstanding student athletes on the team.

DJ ran the race in 1:46 ( 1 hour 46 minutes). I do not know the times for the other North kids. I do know DJ came in 539 out of almost 7000 paticipants. Many of the North kids stayed together so most of their times are probably around that. Considering these kids all finished in the top 10% of the field really shows how hard working and dedicated they are.

I am so proud of DJ for doing this. I also know that his friends on the Cross Country team are really good kids. With all the scandals North has had over the last 5 years, it is nice to be proud of something great in this town again.

Thank you North Attleboro Cross Country, I am sure Ronald McDonald House thanks you also

No comments:

Post a Comment