Sunday, August 21, 2011

Big Trout This Year

I've had people ask me to see the pictures of big trout I've caught this year. I've wrote about them in posts before, but to make life easy I'll condense them. You could call this brag pictures. I definitely don't think so. It might take some skill landing a three pound trout on a two pound tippet. However, I have no delusions that these fish were hooked because of incredible skill. A six inch trout could have hit my flies instead of these giants. I've said before, if you put in your time fishing you WILL get the opportunities for lunkers.

The top trout was caught in Profile Lake Memorial Day weekend. The middle picture was Echo Lake the following week. It was to windy to put the kayak on Profile so I fished Echo from shore

The bottom trout was caught Friday from the Saco River. I caught it on a parachute adams that was under water.

I think my favorite type of fishing is fly fishing for trout. I can't explain the joy of being in my kayak casting my fly rod. I know I'm not the best fly caster. I still " break my wrist" and have to concentrate to cast with good ( or close to good) form. Catching these fish has just been a bonus.

I try to keep my fly selection simple. Over the winter I bought so many flies. I took seminars on what hatches are in New England rivers. I bought flies of all life stages of insects. What a waste of money. For the most part I use hares ear nymph, flashback pheasant tail.  If I need a dry fly, I use some version of an adams. I can honestly say these three flies are on my line 95% of the time. Of that,  the two nymphs are almost always on my line, rarely using the dry even during a hatch.

The best advice I can give as someone that kind of knows what they doing but still has a lot to learn: Keep it simple stupid

No comments:

Post a Comment