Thursday, March 31, 2011

First Trout of the Year




This week has been kind of disappointing for fishing. After catching the carp on March 19 I have gone fishing a couple of times with no luck. I've been baiting up the areas pretty well. The fish just aren't biting.


Yesterday, I thought I'd try some trout fishing. The trout are in many ponds now in Massachusetts. I hit Falls Pond, mostly because it is just a half mile from my house. The main area to fish is on Reservoir Street. There is parking for a couple cars, but enough room for 20 people to fish. I tried my luck yesterday afternoon. Unfortunately, there is a house being built right near the water. The hammers banging and the nailing down of planks was extremely loud. If I were a fish, I'd have been long gone from that area. They must think like me, because I did not get a hit. I then tried the conservation area up Wild Acre Rd. The place I normally would fish was occupied so I tried a small spot a little further up without any luck. Adding to the misery is the north wind that has been here for ten days that won't let up!!


I would prefer to fish for " real" trout, meaning wild unstocked fish. Unfortunately. there are not a lot of wild fish in the area, so I make do with stockies. A poodle can not help that it is not a real dog. It was just born that way. Stocked trout can't help they were born in a hatchery. So I fish for them in the spring as a substitute for wild trout.


Today, I was going to carp fish but thought I'd give the trout another try. I guessed they would be more active,especially with Friday's storm coming. I drove by Reservoir Street, but the carpenters were at the house, so I turned around and drove up Wild Acre Road. The little beach area was unoccupied. I grabbed my two poles and tackle box and headed down the short path.


I baited one pole with powerbait. Let me say right off, using powerbait is my LEAST favorite way to catch trout. It can be an effective bait so I use it one rod, while I cast lures with the other one. I enjoy catching trout on lures and flies a lot more than with powerbait or worms. With the other rod I first tried a fly and casting bubble combo. I didn't have any luck with that. Yesterday I used a spoon for the majority of my time fishing. I didn't get a hit so I didn't go to that again today. Today was overcast so I switched the fly/casting bubble to a 1/8 oz. brown roostertail spinner with a gold blade ( see photo). The wind was blowing so I could not use a smaller spinner and expect to cast it very far.


Long story short. I caught 4 trout today, all on the roostertail. I did not get one hit on the powerbait. I tried 2 different kinds of powerbait, but they would not touch it. All the trout were recently stocked rainbows. All were about 11 inches. I kept two and released two. I will say this about the fish, they were really brightly colored. Sometimes stocked fish are kind of " blah" but these were beautiful. The photos do not do justice to there bright colors.


I only fished about 2 hours, so I'm not complaining. I had one other hit, but he didn't get hooked. The wind was cold, as it kept switching from north to northeast. I was happy to go home and warm up.

I hope this report helps any of you wanting to catch some trout.

No comments:

Post a Comment