Saturday, March 19, 2011

Caught First and Second Carp of the Year Today



Went fishing today at Hopping Hill Reservoir today in search of my first carp of the year.









Last year I had my worst year ever carp fishing. As I've said before, I can remember every carp I caught last year. That goes to show, I didn't catch a hell of a lot. It was so bad that I felt like a Jonah to myself and to whoever I fished with. I fished with Dave at a place that he had never gone fishless in the five years he'd fished there. After 7 hours fishing each we caught a whole lot of nothing. Jinx does not begin to explain how bad it was. Luckily, me being a Jonah was only limited to carp fishing. Although I couldn't get a carp to save my life unless I went to an Asian fish market, I had a great year with trout.


Not only did I have a bad year, but I started off absolutely terrible. Think of a major league hitter starting off the regular season 0 for 14. Well, I didn't catch my first carp until I'd fished for them for 14 hours. You might wonder why I would keep track of that, but when you have that much time just sitting there, you have a lot of time to think of such things. I didn't catch my first carp until after Easter.


I was REALLY hoping not to go through such a streak this year. I wanted to get off to a good start. I wanted to start the year with confidence and break the curse.


Luckily for me 45 minutes into todays fishing I had my first fish of the year.It was a common carp about 11 pounds. In the next hour I had two more pick ups and another run and drop.
Things slowed down after that then I got another run. After a 5 minute battle I landed another carp. This one was a little bigger. I weighed it and it ended up being 16 pounds. Not too shabby.

I had pre baited the area I fished for the last couple days with sweet corn. When I got to my spot today I threw out a couple handfuls of corn to get the fish feeding. For bait I used sweet corn ( Green Giant) on one pole, on the other I used sweet corn that I had soaked in Skyy Pineapple Vodka. Flavored corn is very commonly used by us carp guys. Pineapple Vodka was become a very popular flavor over the last couple years. Sometimes flavored corn will outfish plain old sweet corn. Other days carp won't touch the flavorings.
Today Pineapple Vodka 2 Sweet Corn 0

More importantly, Confidence is back!!!


You guys can fish with me again!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment