Sunday, April 28, 2024

Swallow Tailed Kites!


  For the past three days along Rt 44 in Rehoboth Swallow Tailed Kites have been flying over the open fields around a nursery and soccer complex. Swallow Tailed Kites are a southern hawk like species that eats insects. They are extremely beautiful. 

   I couldn't go look at them on Thursday of Friday. Even on Saturday I had to lead a bird walk in the morning. After my walk was over, on my way back home I stopped in Rehoboth. They had been reported in the morning. I pulled into the War Memorial and there was a Revolutionary War "camp". past that I saw a few birders. I parked my car within minutes we were watching the Kites. On Thursday, there were three but on Friday and Saturday two were reported.

  The Kites were flying high and it looked as though they were eating bugs. They are extremely graceful dancing in the sky. They never really got close to me ranging from 200 yards to  mile away but in the binoculars when the light hit them right I could see the contrast of black and white body parts. I could see the swallow like tail and even the little sharp beak.

   I watched them for about an hour and headed home. I took some photos so I got proof shots. However, my back up camera that I'm using has spots all over the inside of the lens leaving my photos a mess with marks all of them. I might be buying a new camera much sooner rather thsn later. I was hoping to wait until 2025 but I don't think thst is going to happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment