Thursday, April 25, 2024

Been birding and fishing

 I haven't written much but I have been outside when I can get out. Some days I've been fishing and others I have been birding. When I've been fishing, I've been targeting largemouth bass mostly because they are close and I don't have to drive far. I usually hit up the fishing spots in the afternoon for a couple of hours before supper. I haven't caught any big ones but have been well most days with a Yakomoto type worm on a 5/0 extra wide gap (EWG) hook

   Birding has been an all day affair. When I go and I know I'm going to burn a lot of gas, I'll make a day of it. I've mostly been chasing the rarities figuring I'll get most of the easy ones along the way. Here are some photos below.


Trumpeter Swans are a western and midwestern species however, a pair made its way to Mendon, MA a couple of weeks ago. Ironically, the only other ones I've seen east of Wyoming was a few years ago at a pond five miles away in Milford

Lousiana Waterthrush are a tough bird to see. They do nest in New England but are on the rare side. Also, their habitat is unique. They live near fast moving streams. You won't find Louisiana Waterthrushes near ponds unless something horrible happens like they fly into a Nor'easter and they have to land 

I ran across three Spotted Turtles at Great Swamp. A rare species on the endangered/threatened list


Many rarities that are seen in April are known as "overshoots". These are southern birds that when they migrate north, end up traveling further than they planned. This usually happens when they have a strong tail wind pushing them along. Blue Grosbeak is one such spoecies



Little Blue Herons are a dark almost purple species. This one is transitioning from it's white coat to its dark. Seen on the road to Conimicut Lighthouse. I've never seen one that looks like this

I actually came across two Summer Tanagers last week. This was the closest one. The other was a bright red adult male. This one has some really cool splotches on it. Summer Tanagers are another southern overshoot. While Scarlett Tanagers breed in the area



Terrible photo, but was told where a Gret Horned Owl nest was. I was far away parked in my car but got to see these two fuzzballs. The babies are covered in soft down and are at least 18 inches tall. They look like pillows with eyes.



No comments:

Post a Comment