Friday, February 16, 2018

Another Winter Day off, Another Winter Day Birding

Ruddy Turnstone at Third Beach
As the title says, I went birding again yesterday. I looked forward to it all week. It is interesting how sometimes I am really into birding and other years I am not. I think part of it is it has been fairly warm and going birding is an excuse to be in the woods or on the beach with goals.

Being in the woods yesterday was fun. I hit the East Bay side of Rhode Island. I concentrated on the towns of  Portsmouth, Tiverton, and Middletown. I also made a trip to Little Compton. I only saw about 35 species ( list is in the car as I write this). I saw five new species for the year. I had hoped for seven based on where I was going. However, I did see a Carolina Wren which was a very good unexpected bird.
Please lift your head for a better picture

Some of the birds I hoped to see I had absolutely no chance of seeing. Although the woods was fun, the ocean was socked in with fog. I couldn't see 30 yards. I drove to Sachuest. When I got there, I could barely make out the cars at the other end of the parking lot. I hoped to see White Winged Scooters and Red Throated Loons but they will have to wait for another day.

By far my highlight of the day wasn't a bird. It was a coyote. I saw it in a field in Middletown. When it saw me it ran down the street I got a a couple shots of it as it was making its way to safety.

Not the greatest day birding. I still had fun. I walked in the woods and saw a gorgeous coyote. Not a bad way to enjoy a day before a long night of watching Olympic coverage

Coyote

Brant





No comments:

Post a Comment